Mate 20.04 vs 22.04

I'm still using 20.04 on my desktop, but I'm getting a new laptop in the next few days and thinking maybe it's time for a change? I am asking for your help in making that momentous decision:

To all of you who have used both 20 and 22 .04 which one do you prefer and why? Please tell me why you chose to go with 22.04? Thanks in advance!

Although I use 22.04 on my computers at home, I use 20.04 on my work computer because it turned out to be more dependable for the kind of work that i do.

A tiny glitch from, for instance, mpv (which I sometimes have on 22.04 but not on 20.04) would have disastrous consequences on my work and would be unacceptable so I'll probably run 20.04 on my work computer until 24.04 comes along.

For home use, 22.04 is no problem.

drawback of 20.04:

1. screensaver keeps on crashing

drawbacks of 22.04:

1. transmission-gtk is broken because of gtk (bug won't be fixed, replacement with qt version is missing functionality)
  2. mpv sometimes takes some extra time to close or crashes or hangs on closing which b.t.w. is not caused by mpv itself. (which is no problem for me at home but would be a showstopper/disaster at work)
1 Like

TKN, Thank you for your response. I have had zero problems with 20.04 which is why I don't want to let it go...I know it so well, and always works right.
I was hoping to get a several opinions, but so far, judging from what you say, until I hear something different (if I do),I think I'll stay with 20.04 until the end.

I'll provide my 2c, but it may have no value anyway.

Disclaimer: I'm involved with other flavor(s) too, thus am only using Ubuntu-MATE part of the time anyway.

• on my main boxes, I much prefer being on the latest, so I'm not a LTS user anyway. I do use LTS releases on my secondary boxes (I have a number).

• in QA testing, I've got some old hardware which performs better with older kernels, thus Ubuntu-MATE 20.04 LTS using the GA kernel stack would be my choice for two boxes (eg. some old nvidia cards seem to not like 5.15 & later kernels; thus 20.04 provides a kernel that fits the bill perfectly). If I was using the box for more than just QA though; I'd likely just replace the nvidia cards.

• on devices with low RAM, I've tended to stick with 20.04 anyway; as with 2GB of RAM I found it slightly lighter (compared with 22.04)

• in most cases; I'd prefer 22.04, after all the full LTS support for 20.04 ends in April 2023 (3 years). I'd opt for the better security provided with 22.04 if I could.

3 Likes

guiverc, Thank you!

1 Like

I hate newer versions if the previous worked well because newer versions bring a new look and change functionality, which you have to learn. I have lots of other stuff to learn from, so I am tired of learning new software features.