MATE desktop overshoots TV screen - RPi edition

Hello Everyone,

The MATE desktop on the RPi version is not fully viewable, it overruns the screen maybe by about 1" ( or less) on all sides, so toolbars mostly hidden. I have the same issue on Raspberry OS but preferred the small black borders around the TV screen to what I have now.

I think the response is slightly different on Ubuntu to RaspOS. What do I need to do?

Thank you for your help!

Barrie
Devon UK

This might be an issue with your TV as opposed to an issue with the Pi. Many televisions have a setting called "overscan", "scaling", or some sort of setting that lets you adjust the size and position of the image on the screen. Sometimes it's a "vertical size" and "horizontal size" set of settings. Check for a setting similar to those.

Having said that, I have a Hisense "smart" TV that has several settings but NONE that allows this kind of adjustment. In my case, I'm out of luck. I increase the size of the panels to compensate somewhat (in Properties) and the size of the icons automatically adjusts as well. Not ideal, but workable.

First, do a bit of research and let us know which version of Mate (I presume you mean UbuntuMate) you are on and what monitor you are talking about
Second, from a command line use tvservice -s to determine what parameters are being used
Third, try to find what resolutions the tv/monitor will accept as valid.
We, then, may be able to offer some possible tips.
Derek

@trickytree You might also find this post useful. Bad screen resolution