Mate panel icon sizes / menu button size

Hello!

I would like to ask help with personalization.

I have changed the menu button icon, but I would like to make it smaller. My panel is already 25px. I tried to change the .png file of that button to be smaller, but it seems to upscale it on the panel, and it starts to look blurry.

How can I take off the scaling / change it?

Another thing:

In my indicator area, network icon is bigger than any other icon. If I remove the indicator area and add it again, it looks a bit different (has borders) and the network icon is good size, but because of the borders its not looking that what I want.

Also, how to change the program list width on panel, Its at the moment too wide in my opinion, and because of that three apps already fill the free area on the panel.

I tried to change icon sizes also in index.theme file (I dont know if its possible) but it didnt have any other effect than breaking the sound icon, making it three blocks on each other and I couldnt fix it by changing the index.theme values to default. Also, when I clicked that sound icon, the volume control outer appearance was broken, turned around somehow.

I could fix it only by reloading by panel layout from saved.

I don’t have an answer for most of your queries (and unfortunately I don’t know if they’re possible with the panel as it is now), but I have a couple suggestions.

For the indicators, go the MATE Tweak > Panel > Panel Features and check “Enable indicators”, or uncheck it if it’s checked. This will switch between the “system tray” and Ubuntu’s indicators, which each look a little different. (The checkbox is not available if you’ve saved your own panel layout, in which case you’ll have to switch back to one of the default layouts to be able to use it. You can then make your customizations and save it again.)

For the program list, you could try the Dock Applet and see if that works for you.

I think you are using mate-menu .

1. Open dconf-editor (if not installed : sudo apt-get install dconf-editor in terminal)
  2. Navigate to /org/mate/mate-menu/ there should be a option “applet-icon-size”
  3. Double click the option and change its value to the size you wan’t.
  4. Log out from your account and log back in.
  5. You should now have smaller icon for the menu

The default program list expands to fill all avalible panel space.
You can limit its width be adding a separator or any other applet on its right side.
Or try the other applets that do the same thing like @elcste said.

Don’t change the theme definitions . The theme may not have a volume icon of the size you change it to .
That is why it may break .

For the else I don’t know what can be done .

elcste: Thanks for the answer, I keep that on mind about indicators if things change again.

I would like to keep on using this list instead of a dock, as I want text plus icons. At least I have understood that the dock is icons only.

IvCHo:

I found that place in dconf (been editing other things there), and changed it from 22 to 16, logged out and back in but did not change anything unfortunately :confused:

I am actually using Main Menu (The main Mate menu), thats looks are the best for me.

About the program list: I did mean that every separate program item in the list are too wide. For example “dconf Editor” width is nearly double compared to the space the title itself takes. I rather see long titles shortened than short titles having so much empty space after them.

Thank you for your answer anyway!

Yep . It does not work since you use the “main Mate menu” . I can’t find where in mate-panel repository was its src code , but I think that the scaling is hardcoded and can’t be changed . You can only change the Icon size for the “Mate custom menu” menu a.k.a “Application,Places,System menu” via mate-tweak. And the program list . That thing is hardcoded too . The title area has a fixed widght witch scales down if there are too many windows and can’t be fit in the area.

Unfortunately these other menus are not customizable enough to look like how I want inside. Main Mate menu is exactly what I want inside it. Only categories view and hovering on a category shows what is in it. Other menus are too wide and dont have such a category view like Mate Main Menu.