MATE panel is being dragged when I touch it in the Cupertino layout

I asked a similar question in Ask Ubuntu, but it seems that this site would be a better place to discussed it.

I have a touch screen computer running Ubuntu MATE 22.04.

When I accidentally touch on the MATE panel, the panel is dragged to another location, which is inconvenient, because sometimes I end up dislocating the panel while trying to move an window.

However, when I try to drag the panel with mouse, nothing happens (as expected).

How to stop the panel from being dragged when I touch it?

Note: @guiverc discovered that this happens in the Cupertino layout, but not in the Familiar layout.

2 Likes

I had a quick play using the current daily for jammy.2 (20230217.1; alas it's being respun :frowning: ) in a live session, and couldn't re-create this issue on

• sony vaio ultrabook svp11216cgb (i5-9400u, 4gb, intel haswell-ULT)
  • samsung 700t1c-p10aat (i5-3317u, 4gb, 3rd gen.core.intel.graphics.4000)

I've seen what you describe before though (as I'm not exclusively using MATE, thus it maybe a different DE & of no value here though sorry), but what PANEL LAYOUT were you using, as my live sessions only used the default familiar.

1 Like

I am using the Cupertino layout.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: Yep dead easy to re-create when using Cupertino....

Obvious workaround is using a different layout :slight_smile: ; whilst I've not tried them all here today, I've only encountered the issue you describe with Cupertino... For actual solution, you'll likely need to wait for a Ubuntu-MATE user who modifies defaults, or developer to provide more with regards fix... my focus currently is on getting jammy.2 released.

2 Likes

@guiverc I reported a bug in both Launchpad and GitHub. Can you please mark "It affects me" in Launchpad, and add a comment in GitHub that you can also reproduce it?

2 Likes

Turns out that the bug occurs as long as the appmenu (global menu) applet is in use. Removing the applet fixes the issue in both Cupertino and Contemporary layouts.

I still want to use global menu, so still looking for workarounds.

1 Like

Filed a new bug report at appmenu GitLab page MATE: When appmenu is being used, MATE panel is accidentally dragged when touched (only on touch screens) (#379) · Issues · ValaPanel Project / vala-panel-appmenu · GitLab

2 Likes