Mouse Pointer Misbehaving after update

Here is the scoop, then:

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/wily/main/updates/libdecoration0-dev

@lah7, being that this is the only package, with the only issue - and furthermore the only change in the aggregate of this update: then is this the only one which needs to be locked/rolledback to the earlier version? :smiley:

You raise a good point. It would be a good idea to lock versions for other compiz related packages, since having a mismatch of libraries will only lead to problems.

OK, cool, that’s what I, precisely, wished to know @lah7 - for all of us who can utilize this workaround :smiley:.

Will you keep up with this issue, a little bit - to let us know when we can safely update? Or are there too many variables to bank on whether a future update/bug-fix would be comprehensively relevant.

I’m afraid I wouldn’t know when it’s safe to update, since it hasn’t affected my desktop (NVIDIA, Compiz) or my netbook (Intel, can’t test, it can only run Marco). As the report suggests, this fix was for Unity, but it seems it’s broken MATE in some way.

You should file a bug report when running the new, affected version and note this is a regression for the MATE desktop on some hardware.

You could use apport, which will gather system information and report compiz based on the version you’re running: (unlock and upgrade to make this report accurate)

apport-bug compiz

Be sure to also add Affects package/distro: ubuntu-mate to the report and link it here so others can confirm it happens to them too.

The other way is to file a bug report in the Issue Tracker with as much detail as possible, so @wimpy and other bug monitors can confirm and provide feedback on the matter. The maintainer may be able to hold back the package for now.

1 Like

Login as guest user or newly created user isn’t effected with this BIG X cursor bug. what will be the reason for it. so if that’s the case i can move in to new user name rather than reinstalling OS.

Thanks, that’s what I will do @lah7.

We still have at least one computer, over here, with the bug still active (upgraded), so the apport-bug compizwill get in the mix. I will also file a bug report in the Issue Tracker, with details; so @wimpy and other bug monitors may confirm and provide feedback on this issue.

It, indeed, would be cool if the maintainer would be able to hold back the package for now - and keep it from doing this again - even with an upgrade! :yum:

Hmm, in that case @Buddhika_Jayasingha, there could be something wrong with the existing configuration or some customizations. @mated, can you confirm if a guest session / new user “fixes” the problem? Saying that, I think it uses Marco by default, which isn’t affected.

By the way @mated, it sounded like you plan to create two reports (one with apport, the other manually)… that’s wouldn’t be helpful for developers/maintainers, instead, for the first report you’ll see a “This affects distro/package…” button, in which you can add ubuntu-mate.

I might take a peak at the code changes later, to see how this one change in this update has caused this unusual regression… I don’t understand why I (and other users?) haven’t been affected. :confused:

Here’s the link to the Bug report.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/1544814

I was successful in talking the good wife, who still happens to be using 15.10 - with the active bug, into taking this on. The bug report part is done.

Thanks, again @lah7; for fostering this one a bit; there will be more who will also be grateful :laughing:!

Okay, got it, on the report part, @lah7. As far as the guest user deal goes, I have not yet had the wife log in as a different user, to see; but I am guessing it would fix it. However, this, as you point out, would only be because Marco (if it is setup that way) would be in charge at that time. There are no issues with Marco, over here; but @Buddhika_Jayasingha could easily see, by switching to Marco -in MATE Tweaks - logged in as normal (no guest user, etc.). :slightly_smiling:

I will have her check that out as a guest user, though, and report back.

Thanks for reporting that. Anyone who has the same exact same problem is encouraged to click on "This bug affects x person, Does this bug affect you?" (when logged in) to raise the :fire: heat of the bug.

Just as a bit of a tip for @randalicia_lisa :

The link "Also affects project" is how it gets linked to ubuntu-mate, so now it appears in the Ubuntu MATE Issue Tracker too. I already did this, so it's okay. I shortened the title to a more summary of what's happening - invisible or black X cursor.

I haven't found the code changes (Launchpad confuses me...) So why this is happening, remains to be seen. For now, there's the locking version workaround or to switch to Marco for the time being.

1 Like

Also running nvidia/proprietary driver/16.04 and not seeing this problem after the compiz updates.

1 Like

Yep, @Buddhika_Jayasingha & @lah7, the guest user takes you all the way back to an ‘out of the box’ session; there is only Marco at that point. :neutral_face:

Please do what @lah7 has asked, here; so we can get this bug fixed! :mask:

I did just this as per the instructions below.

Will it end up getting the bug fixed any time soon, or will I have to go back to Mint Mate? In all due respect, I do not really have the time for this in my mix. :worried:

Does Ubuntu Mate have any know issues with Dells? I have been recommending Ubuntu Mate to everybody but this will look real amateurish to anyone who has downloaded it (and a lot of us have Dells like me).

Like any bug, it depends on how complex this problem introduced and if the developers who understand this stuff have time to fix it, plus any delay when Ubuntu devs review and release a new update. Switching distros doesn’t really make sense since Ubuntu MATE hasn’t suddenly become unusable :confused: – Marco isn’t affected and the previous versions of compiz packages can be locked.

Since this update fixed a bug in Unity (which uses Compiz), it could be possible some other Compiz-powered desktops have been affected by this change, including Mint MATE if it uses Compiz.

Keep this thread/bug report bookmarked for updates. :bookmark:

Any Linux distro I tried worked well on my Dell Inspiron Duo, it also had no issues on an old Dell Pentium 4 PC, so results may vary on the age of the PC. – Please create a new thread to discuss this as this thread will get derailed. :neutral_face:

Thanks for the quick reply @lah7!

I want compix - not marco. I tried to rollback; but it will remove things that it can’t figure out how to put back. That is what I meant by " I do not really have the time for this in my mix" I am assuming that new releases (and before that point upgrades) will at least have the old compiz (good) package preinstalled w/ a lock to prevent this again? :confused:

I only asked this in case the cursor bug only affects Dells (hardware).

@mated Switching to macro fixed the issue.

1 Like

Done as you mentioned.

Thanks for reporting that. Anyone who has the same exact same problem is encouraged to click on “This bug affects x person, Does this bug affect you?” (when logged in) to raise the :fire: heat of the bug.

1 Like