My desktop today

I really like the 90's/early 2000's Mac OS vibes on this one.

Back to MATE traditional layout !

8 Likes

Unity for me.

3 Likes

I use Ubuntu Mate 20.04 as my base and live in Awesome WM, here some impressions.

2 Likes

1 Like

The power of Caja in Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS which I find useful to share (inspired by latest discussion on AskUbuntu) .

The below screenshot demonstrated all features of normal desktop integration between file-manager and desktop:

Fully-featured MATE desktop controlled by Caja

Here we have Mutiny panel layout and the following elements arranged by user:

• home folder icon;
  • link to Dropbox folder (the folder itself is located in ~/Dropbox, controlled by caja-dropbox extension);
  • desktop shortcut to Caja application copied from menu;
  • pdf file with preview;
  • simple text file;
  • folder with Git repository inside (controlled by RabbitVCS extension);
  • folder with Mercurial repository inside (controlled by TortoiseHG extension);
  • simple folder with opened dropdown menu which demonstrates custom actions and menus from various extensions including custom caja scripts (usually located in ~/.config/caja/scripts) and actions configured using caja-actions-config-tool.

The screenshot of dropdown menu for empty desktop space is below:

dropdown menu alone above MATE desktop controlled by Caja

Note: above screenshots may be overloaded by the stuff, but they demonstrate how flexible MATE desktop is nowadays. You can compare them with default GNOME Shell and GNOME FlashBack to make conclusions by yourself.

8 Likes

Sylvia Ritter's take on Ubuntu 20.10. Sylvia has created amazing artwork for all the Ubuntu releases and Groovy Gorilla continues that trend.

https://www.deviantart.com/sylviaritter/art/Groovy-Gorilla-850935052

8 Likes

Simple n' clean.

4 Likes

Simple and clean. Starlabs theme.

:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Eugh! That default icon theme! That background deserves better!

6 Likes

To Each Their Own

hi,

have been moving myself away from windows, specifically win10. laptop has been replaced with a chromebook and for my intel nuc desktop i chose ubuntu mate 20.04lts. i have dark themed everything and i really like this stock wallpaper as the desktop icons stand out nicely.

enjoy your day and stay safe, cheers everyone!

7 Likes

May I ask for a link to that neat wallpaper?

It's already in ubuntu mate, you should be able to pick it ^^

1 Like

Thanks, but I was asking for this wallpaper My desktop today

It is posted somewhere on the forum I believe it was created by a forum members, but I don't remember where it is posted

It's from @anon94368460's post: Resting Fox wallpaper. Some great artwork indeed!

Thanks mate! Sure it’s an amazing picture

Some fun with the 'cool-retro-term' snap ! :crazy_face:

6 Likes