My MSI laptop will not show dual display when plugging HDMI cord in

I have had this problem before, but I am not sure how to fix it. I am using an MSI laptop with NVidea GTX 1070 video card. I have an HDMI port and a mini display port that usually allow dual screen and even 3 screens (including my laptop screen). For some reason, neither are working now and I did not make any changes that I am aware of. Any help is appreciated.

When you go into Control panel --Monitor Preference-- Detect Monitors, what does it show?

ok. so I have Control Center and it doesn't have an option to check monitor prefs...I just attached a Samsung TV to my HDMI port but have been trying to hook up the Samsung monitor I have. The TV is working. The monitor does not show in monitor prefs (if I click on display settings at the top of my screen). If I have the monitor plugged in to my HDMI port, the monitor does not show anything, but I can move my mouse pointer over to that screen (which is black). When I unplug it, the monitor flashes for a second but it doesn't show anything.

Do you have another monitor you can test the port on?

not another monitor, no.

Check out this line, it might help? https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/hdmi-port-not-working-solved/

This link is for windows but has some good info.

I wondering if its a hardware problem (i.e., cord(s) or the monitor? Or, Did you recently update the system? Was the kernel updated? Sometimes an upgrade of the kernel can cause the monitor not to be recognize.

i do think the kernel was updated which is causing the problem.

The terminal type: inxi -G

If inxi is not install just: sudo apt-get install inxi

Post the results

Graphics: Card-1: Intel Device 3e9b
Card-2: NVIDIA GP104M [GeForce GTX 1070 Mobile]
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.8 )
drivers: modesetting,nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: [email protected], [email protected]
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1070 with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2
version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.100

This must be your monitor? If it is then the laptop is seeing the monitor. I would try changing the screen resolution for the monitor.

See Unable to Change Screen Resolution

Graphics: Card-1: Intel Device 3e9b
Card-2: NVIDIA GP104M [GeForce GTX 1070 Mobile]
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.8 )
drivers: modesetting,nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: [email protected], [email protected]
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1070 with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2
version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.100

the second post is when I have the monitor plugged in with no display. The

[email protected] is my laptop screen.