Network Manager bug

Are they also looking into fixing it for the Pi?

Thanks @Wimpy. Looking forward to not having to worry about this anymore.

Yes, it will be nice when this is fixed. Very annoying.

Is there a time frame on when it will be fixed? I run into this error almost every day still. I have updated and upgraded all software packages in 16.04 LTS and am running the PPA for MATE 1.14.1 and it still persists as of today.

Hi all,

try changing your software sources download location as I am not having this problem using "Main Server" for my downloads!, once changed, run updates again. If you are already using "Main Server", select a different location:

I’v done that with no change. This continues to be tracked on launchpad but with no clear end in site. Perhaps add a script in /etc/pm/sleep.d that restarts the connection in the mean time?

Sorry to keep spamming this discussion but has anyone used the daily PPA for network manager to solve this and is it recommended? This messes up my system almost every time I turn it on.

Hi CD,

I’m not using the network manager PPA and did have just a slight problem after my recent updates, I right clicked on the network icon in the panel and disconnected and then connected again and it worked fine!. :smiley:

I have tried that. The network manager seems shows two arrows going in opposite direction to show that there is a connection(although it doesn’t show the signal strength). I can’t actually view any of the networks though. You have to restart the network manager each time. It is the only serious bug that I keep having in Ubuntu MATE.

I looked at the PPA’s and the last major build of Network Manager was almost 180 weeks ago. I think it may be related to the applet itself.

I have the very same problem as you, @CrazyDesi, I think it starts manifesting when I loose the wifi signal for a while because the first time I acquire it after boot I get the correct wifi icon.
The other weird stuff is that I see no wifi network listed in the applet, while they were showing up after boot.

By the way people the correct bug to subscribe to is this one:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1589401

Hi chaps,

try the following terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t) if it happens again and let me know if it works, as I also had a problem with my notebook yesterday!:

sudo service network-manager restart

Thanks Wolfman! - by far the best bandaid for the problem that I have come across in months of searching for a solution to this problem (both in Mint based on Trusty and Mint based on Xenial). The wifi has remained connected and the icon hasn’t gone wrong for over two hours now - close to a new record!

1 Like

Unfortunately, it disconnected and wouldn’t restart using the Wolfman technique, so I had to go back to connecting with WICD.

The disconnect problem affects WICD as well as Network Manager, although the WICD interface is more reliable. Maybe the source of the problem lies with some component that both Network Manager and WICD use. For example do they both rely on WPA Supplicant?

Had this happened to my mothers laptop in the last couple of days. Created a launcher with the instructions @al_chemia posted, and she clicks it every couple of hours or so. Also, she told me that when she watches some videos her internet speed gets slower til she reconnects the wifi.

Hi @Cold,

could you please post a link to the solution you referred to; thanks!. :smiley:

Hi @drwho,

did you change your software sources download location as I suggested above?. :smiley:

@wolfman is post 17 from this topic. :stuck_out_tongue:

Its only a temporally fix though.

1 Like

Thanks @Cold, I didn’t think to look up there!. :thumbsup:

I have been using the network restart services for a while now, but I just would prefer if this step didn’t have to happen. I am still running 16.04 though. Maybe they have fixed it in 16.10

Just making sure I understand what’s up here. Is the internet of yours getting disconnected over time often?

Press F12 for the Tilda terminal or CTRL+ALT+T for terminal and copy+paste this: (CTRL+SHIFT+V in terminal)

gksudo pluma /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

You should see managed=false , change it to managed=true and save.

Go back to terminal and type:

sudo service network-manager restart

Worked wonders for me, hope it does for you aswell :slight_smile:

1 Like