NetworkManager misbehaving after sleep in 15.10

Networking hasn’t been a problem for me in 15.04, but since upgrading to 15.10, networking seems to quietly misbehave at times, and I’m not sure what’s causing it, and if anyone else has experienced similar things.

My desktop is connected to both Ethernet (via a Powerline in the wall) and a USB Wi-Fi Adapter, and I tend to switch between them when the Powerline drops connection or vice versa if the wireless starts to get a weak connection – no surprise when the machine is at the top of the house.

Some recent problems that were never an issue before:

• When re-connecting to Wi-Fi at times, this message appears each time:

Connection activation failed
    (1) Creating object for path ‘/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/66’ failed in libnm-glib.

• The “Enable Networking” and “Enable Wi-Fi” become unavailable from the menu.

• Just now, 30% of the CPU was used when idling, loads of processes kept spawning/disappearing with systemd-journal being a caught culprit for such high usage.

After checking syslog, these issues occur after waking the computer from sleep:

Oct 27 13:54:28 LukeUbuntuDesktop NetworkManager[750]: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant interface state: starting -> down
Oct 27 13:54:28 LukeUbuntuDesktop wpa_supplicant[862]: Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device
Oct 27 13:54:28 LukeUbuntuDesktop wpa_supplicant[862]: nl80211: Driver does not support authentication/association or connect commands
Oct 27 13:54:28 LukeUbuntuDesktop wpa_supplicant[862]: nl80211: deinit ifname=wlan0 disabled_11b_rates=0
Oct 27 13:54:28 LukeUbuntuDesktop wpa_supplicant[862]: Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device
Oct 27 13:54:28 LukeUbuntuDesktop wpa_supplicant[862]: WEXT: Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
Oct 27 13:54:28 LukeUbuntuDesktop wpa_supplicant[862]: wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface
Oct 27 13:54:28 LukeUbuntuDesktop NetworkManager[750]: <error> [1445954068.062637] [supplicant-manager/nm-supplicant-interface.c:734] interface_add_cb(): (wlan0): error adding interface: GDBus.Error:fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.UnknownError: wpa_supplicant couldn't grab this interface.

(This kept repeating, about a 67.3 MB log)

Restarting the service seems to resolve Wi-Fi issues again:

sudo service NetworkManager restart

Has anyone else noticed any irregular problems with networking after sleeping?

Actually, I think I might know one possible cause – Sometimes, I’ll take out and plug the Wi-Fi adapter into another machine – NetworkManager on my system could be confused to where the interface (wlan0) had gone when it wakes up. I’ll have to observe if that is the reason why, there were never a problem on 15.04.