New here looking for some help

Hallo

If you can’t get Ubuntu-Mate or one of the other “lightweight” Ubuntus to run well have a try with “antiX” (https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=antiX). I installed it last year on an IBM notebook (and I don’t mean Lenovo) that was bought in early 2005. The desktop is very simple but it runs well. If you need to get that hardware running and can’t upgrade the RAM this may help you. :penguin:

1 Like

I have found 1 GB of RAM is sufficient for light activities on an old machine. The only trouble you may find is the hard disk may get I/O bottlenecked very easily… by waiting for the hard disk more often.

Thanks for all the replies, I will take all in consideration. I am having the issue of trying to get load the is during bios boot. Anyone have thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Try Ubuntu MATE 14.04.2 on that machine.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/trusty/

32-bit version is probably best.

If you have the disk space for it, I would suggest dual boot and keep win7 as a backup system.

How are you installing? DVD, USB, other?

Have (as suggested) you tried it out before trying to install?

3 Likes

I haven’t tried it out recently but in the past I’ve had a Linux product and I was pretty happy with it I’m just tired of all the Microsoft. I will primarily use this for surfing the web. Similar to a Chromebook.

I configured a netbook for my daughter that had 1 gig memory and an Intel Atom Processor. It was totally functional for web and email, although it certainly wasn’t a screamer. Libre Office worked OK for an occasional edit or so.
If you wish to compare specs prior to installing … take a look >>> here

pfeiffep, which version of Mate did you install on it?

I installed 16.04 LTS.

The installed version of Windows 7 [starter] was totally not functional.
I spent about 4 hours just trying to update Windows - it would never finish searching for updates.
So I disable automatic updates and just tried to use it to search the web - it was so S L O W I simply gave up an let UM 16.04 install on the entire drive.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I plan to do. Thanks for the help. I will try it again.

2 Likes

Hello, so this is the second time I have tried to load Mate onto this HP netbook and I have been unsuccessful. How did you manage to load the iso onto the netbook? I have downloaded the i386 version onto a usb thumb drive. Problem is once I plug in the usb and start the netbook it freezes. It shows the Press Esc to access bios menu but the netbook just freezes and so I have to hard reboot it…everytime. Am I missing something here?

If my understanding of your post is correct the correct procedure wasn’t followed.

In order to install Ubuntu MATE you need to have a BOOTABLE usb stick made CONTAINING the iso.
Once the usb stick has been made bootable with the iso you’ve already downloaded you boot the usb stick which should provide options to try or install.

Steps to follow:

1 - download iso and save to any place other than USB stick you from which you intend to boot / try / install [no need to download again … simply copy the iso file to your hard drive]
2 - burn the iso file to the usb stick you intend to use for test / install
3 - boot the netbook using the usb stick bade in step 2
4 - follow @wolfman’s guide from part way down look for text "Okay, I’ve changed the boot order but I don’t know what to do next?."
5 - test your netbook; if satisfied and you’ve decided not to use Win 7 on this netbook for installation type choose Erase disk and Install Ubuntu MATE
6 - you may ignore pics 4-10 in the guide
7 - pic 16 on will apply

Please post back with either more questions, or success :relaxed:

pfeiffep, here is what I have done so far…

1. downloaded the iso onto my chromebook. (not the Netbook I plan on installing Mate onto).
  2. transferred the file onto a USB stick
  3. set up the HP netbook to boot from USB flash drive first, then hard drive
    Here is where I get frustrated…
  4. Netbook boots up with USB stick in port. The USB stick light blinks 3 times then Netbook freezes. Nothing else happens unless I turn the Netbook off and restart it. Once I restart it the same thing happens. Nothing else.

Exactly how did you transfer the file?

Did you understand my overview? and what is meant by …

2 - burn the iso file to the usb stick you intend to use for test / install

Burn does not mean copy It’s a term used to make the USB stick or DVD bootable.

What OS are you using on the Chromebook? I as because I have absolutely no experience with them.

My suspicion is the error you experienced in your #4 is a direct cause from copying the iso to the flash drive.
We need specifics to provide the help requested.

What is the brand and model of your netbook?
Does is boot into Win7?
Does it connect to the internet? if so how wifi or hard wire?
Does it have any data that your require?
Does it have a DVD drive?

I have been dragging the iso from the download file onto the flash drive. Based on one of your comments this could be the wrong approach. The Chromebook uses Chrome OS. To answer your questions above the HP Netbook does boot into Win 7 Starter. It does have internet connection via Verizon Wireless LTE 4G from a Verizon Home Fusion system. I have no data to backup on the Netbook. It doesn’t have an internal cd/dvd drive but I do have an external that I have tried by dragging the same iso file from the Chromebook onto the dvd. I get the same issue with the dvd as I do the USB stick. The dvd spins for a sec or two than stops. The only difference is with the dvd it the bootup times out and goes into the Win 7 Startup. With the USB stick it just freezes as stated above.

I’m getting the impression that the draging and dropping the iso is not the proper method for a proper boot up. Am I correct?

Hi,

yes! you cannot just simply drag an ISO file to a USB stick, see this guide about using Unetbootin here.

Take a look at the other links included in the guide!. :smiley: :thumbsup:

1 Like

Alright! You guys are awesome! Thanks for the help. I was able to load the OS. My issue was not using the Unetbootin. I thought I initially did that but it didn’t properly install because I had the wrong root drive. Now when I power up it gives me the option of either Mate or Windows. I’d like to eliminate the Windows option all together. Any assistance on that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all the help. This should be fun.

2 Likes

Hi @arocho0112,

please mark this thread as solved by clicking on the tick box below best answer!.

If you look at the partition guide, it shows you how to rid your PC of Windows but please start a new thread if you have any further questions.

Once you remove Windows, replace the Grub menu using Boot repair from Welcome > Installation Help > Dual Booting Boot > Boot Repair and follow the instructions, take your time!.. Start the Live CD and and open Welcome!.

1 Like

Hallo

I have an old HP netbook with a dual boot installed by HP - W7 and Fedora (a reduced version with just a web browser). There's even a physical button to boot directly into Fedora. I'm sure you'll be able to install some form of usefull linux. :ubuntu_mate:

1 Like