New panel layout (Gnome 3 but actually better)

My Gnome 3 layout for MATE, MATE can beat Gnome 3 at it's own game :grin:

5 Likes

Care to share a screenshot?:slight_smile:

What I uploaded is a screenshot, unless you cannot see it, but I can

Just saw it, had bit of a snafu with broadband...
The layout looks good...:slight_smile:
This is mine(btw I'm not from Mac background, in fact I don't like Apple):

I donโ€™t use that layout personally but I wanted to see how close I could get and if i installed Skippy xd I could probably get closer

Also the desktop switcher panel is set to autohide and the dock to hide from active window

You need to move the clock to the center of the panel :stuck_out_tongue:

That is true I thought of that after I had posted it

Here is a screenshot with the clock in the center

1 Like

Better is incredibly subjective :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know I actually admire the Gnome 3, I just think they have taken the wrong course in several areas: I actually understood more after reading some stuff on their website the other day: however their logic did not make entire sense to me and I think MATE is more effective in many of the scenarios in which they were proposing; maybe after Gnome 3 has had as many years of development that Gnome 2 had it will be as capable
ps I also think they gone a little too minimalistic, I like minimalism (shown by my dislike for KDE :grinning:); but Gnome I think has gone just a little to far: although I would not personally feel bad if MATE went a bit more minimalistic or maybe just simpler in some areas?

1 Like

I would love the activities layout on MATE, tbh.

Something like xfdashboard styled to be more accurate looking would make this layout viable for inclusion in UM imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ni1JHUt14

1 Like

Close enough, I guess.

XfDashboard actually works on Mate or at least it used to( with a ton of otherwise unneeded dependencies); the thing I really dislike about gnome 3s activities and the xfdashboard is the combination of application switching, application launching and multiple desktops all in one area it honestly takes to many clicks and too much moving of the mouse to be efficient imo and that is where my layout would be more efficient in certain circumstances though not all, this is especially evident if u r on a laptop with a trackpad not so much if you use a mouse

Honestly though I do like the overview in certain ways and just window and desktop switching would have been good (though I donโ€™t like the hiding desktop switcher) PopOS has that part of it right