Not seeing Windows network?

Okay…

Just ran update and upgrade

Suddenly samba is working again.

No idea whatsoever why

And this is with the gvfsd.smb-browse currently disabled.

will wait and see how long it lasts.

Did you upgrade to 16.04.1?
was it making CPU run at 100% when networking to Windows, is that the issue? not sure I saw that problem if it was

It’s still not logging onto Windows shares. But is logging into shares on my other Linux machines. But, it wasn’t even doing that before. So. that is at least a partial improvement

I am going to disable my script that kills off the gvsfd-smb-browse bug and see if it allows me to log into my windows shares and will report back here in a few mins

So, with gvfsd-smb-browse enabled, I can still access Linux shares from my other Linux machines and gvfsd-smb-browse does not go mental on me. However, as soon as I try to access a remote MS Wndows share, it does and the MS Windows share refuses to load.

Huh, I’ll have to look into that when I get home. Being as I have not got further than actually seeing the network shares on windows, still have to navigate the whole “wanting a password issue, when there is not one” (how do you get around, if you do?). Maybe once I make the share and start streaming etc. I will see a problem, or maybe it won’t load much like the issue you are having.
All very frustrating, can’t seem to understand why Linux does not fix the sharing problems, it’s such a standard thing anymore, most households are mixing & matching to stream.
The constant niggley issues make one think he should just suffer Windows (I’m on 7, won’t budge, tinfoil hat n’ all). I am not really up for the Arch challenge, don’t much care for Manjaro, Ubuntu mate & Linux mint were so promising then all this 16.04 BS. am loading peppermint on a spare HDD, give it a shot, had good luck with it in the past, hate all the chopping n’ changing, it will turn so many off Linux, just want a distro that works!

Ok, I have had a little trip down the rabbit hole…

BSD is a Unix-like operating system that is an alternative to Linux. I first encountered it about 3 years ago and it was awful to handle. Pretty much like Linux was 10 years ago.

However, over the years it has forked a few times and there is a variant of BSD calld PC-BSD. I suppose the best way to conceptualize PC-BSD is to see it as the “Ubuntu” of the BSD world. It is very user/newbie friendly. It comes with KDE as the out of the box desktop. However, it has something called an "App-Cafe2, which is similr in function to the software boutique here on UM. In there, you can find a very large array of open source software comparable to the kinds of tings you can find in Linux. More to the point, the Mate desktop is in there and is a piece of cake to install. Once installed, you can log out and back in on the mate desktop and it all begins to feel very familiar very quickly.

Most important of all SAMBA WORKS!

It’s fast as lightening and just works, no problems, no hassles, no lag, no cpu going batshit on you, It just works.

I should say, I was very nearly disappointed for the first five minutes where it would not work. But, that was before I realized you had to include Samba as an allowed process in the on-board firewall. But having once done that, it worked perfectly.

I have done a video of it, below with samba working. “stephen-pc” is my windows laptop

Also, here is a video review of PC-BSD by someone whose reviews, though sometimes rambling, I respect.

I don;t know how stable this distro is when it is pushed a bit. But, I might install it as a second OS on my main rig and try it out for a few days.

Cool, I’ll certainly have a look, as i am concerned things are not improving on the Linux side, a lot of which i do attribute to the constant watering down of the platform with a million like distro’s…come together people, make one or two great ones!

Downloading, have a spare rig to slap it on…
just read some of your Ubuntu studio posts, i would say that you are leagues above my linux expertise, also into music production I’m guessing? I am venturing back down that road myself, trying to get a home recording set up running, not sure what DAW to use yet, another one of those “many options” scenarios, may have to start on win for that, appreciate rapping at you, one thing i love about the linux scene, nice folks, willing to help…

Oh, I wouldn’t go so far as to say things have not improved as a function of the proliferation of distros. In many ways, the increased competition within the Linux ecosphere might be said to have encouraged innovation. However, one of the prices to pay for this open source, Darwinian evolutionary model is some flakiness around the edges, as we might find in the biological world. The current aspect of which is Samba. It will, I have no doubt, resolve itself in time. But, for now, for anyone who really values Samba, it’s a royal pain in the ass. Luckily, however,r there is nearly always a solution hiding in some corner. It may be, for the likes of me or you for whom Samba is a big deal, BSD might be that solution, though perhaps a temporary one. Or not as the case may be.

Also, bear in mind, this was running inside a VM, which is a kind of perfect environment using only typical “virtual” hardware. With the kinds of variations in hardware that are on our real-world rigs, it might not be so pretty. Nevertheless, like you, I intend to install it on my bare-metal machine in the morning. We should both come on here and let each other know, over the next 24 hours, how it went.

It installed, seems to be having an issue with updating, we shall press on!

About the updating…

When you use the updater from the task-bar, when it runs it sometimes looks like it is doing nothing. But it is!

Go and make a cup of tea and come back 15 minutes later and it will probably say something along the lines of “updates complete- reboot to finish”

You can also update from a terminal:

To determine if any system updates are available, type the following command:

sudo pc-updatemanager check

If any come up as available, type the following command to install them:

sudo pc-updatemanager fbsdupdate

It finally updated, did go for a cuppa, mind you it is telling me that is almost end of life, I shall have to research in place upgrade to newer version, if it works out

Is there a way to log in to Win From Mate without using a password, as you can do in reverse? Or are you forced to have to password Win
What do you prefer about UB Mate over Mint mate, is there a deal breaker or fairly comparable?
And do you have an opinion on Ardour?

So many questions, where in UK are you? I am an expat, from Medway towns originally, now in Colorado US

There is a way to autolog into Ms Windows. See here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872306.aspx

In terms of Ubuntu Mate versus Mint Mate. It used to be the case that Ubuntu in general was more stable, in my experience. this is far less the case now and I can;t see much to choose between them. I actually like the look of Mint Mate slightly more than Ubuntu Mate. But, what always swings it for me toward Ubuntu Mater is the peripheral tools like Mate Tweak and the Software Boutique. the only thing where Mint beats Ubuntu currently is the fantastic tool called “Mintstick”. But, this can be downloaded from the Mint site and installed in Ubuntu Mate. Which is what I always do.

Ardour is not a program I have much experience of and so can’t really offer any good advice. In terms of Audio/Visual stuff. I mostly use:

Meshlab
Blender
Patchage
Qjackctl
Rosegarden
LMMS
Musescore
Qsynth
VMPK
Yoshimi
Calf Plugin for Jack
Gimp
Kompozer

I am from the North East of the UK, near Teesside. God’s own country…:slight_smile:

I should also say, I am currently trying to set up a test dual-boot for Ubuntu Mate and PC-BSD in a VM. It’s proving to be a bit of a bugger. Linux’s grub simply cant see the BSD installation. Nor is is possible to adjust anything vis-a-vis the BSD partition with Gparted inside Ubuntu or on a live Linux ISO. So, I am groping my way toward a solution which will probably entail the following being done in order:

Install Ubuntu Mate
Install PC-BSD on the empty space.

When the above has been done, PC-BSD’s boot-loader will take over from grub, at which point Ubuntu will not be accessible.

What I then have to figure out is how to include Ubuntu in PC-BSD’s bootloader.

When I have achieved that, I will do it on my bare metal rig

Compared to the Medway towns it sure is…mind you Kent as a whole is a beautiful place. Played in Middlesbrough somewhere with Wreckless Eric back in the day I’m pretty sure

7 posts were split to a new topic: How-to for dual-booting PCBSD and Ubuntu Mate

Ok Smartnoise. Some updates:

Commited, today, to install a dual boot system of UM and PCBSD to bare metal. Installed a fresh copy of UM 16.04 first. However, after installing it, just happened to try out the network.

Guess what?

Samba is working!

I’m not joking. The gvfs-smb-browse bug is not happening and Samba is unproblematically accessing all network places including my Windows 7 partition on my notepad.

I donl;t know if this is going to last and so I am holding my breath for the next few days. But, as I write this, several hours in, Samba is still operating unproblematically.

I don’t know why this has happened., but I can hazard a guess, for what it’s worth:

The problem has been fixed somewhere up the line. However, this fix runs sufficiently deep inside the system that it cannot be passed down the line as updates to existing 16.04 installations. Therefore, it only appears in new installations where it can be passed down the line as an update during the installation.

The above is pure conjecture, of course.

Well, if it stays working it may almost be worth a fresh install

Yep, did a clean install of Mint Mate 18 and it is now seeing network shares, as is Ubuntu mate 16.04.1, mind you, still asking for Win password when none present, guess to proceed I shall be forced to add one, pain!