Nvidia 304 driver

Nvidia 304 driver install in 18.04
Support & Help Requests
Rylan
1d

The nvidia 304 driver is no longer supported in your 18.04 repositories. My computer crashes without this driver. I downloaded 304.137 from nvidia. How do I install this?

created
1d
last reply
17h
views
users

LoRider
17h

Hi Rylan

I had the same problem in the Beta 2 release so reverted back to 17.10 hoping it would be fixed by the time the final release was out.

Have you tried changing the download server to main or your country’s server and then running additional drivers again?

If nothing comes up…I hope as you… that there is another way…would hate to be shut out of this upgrade due to the 304 driver not being supported anymore…

Is the Nvidia 304.137 driver supported in 18.04…or not?
Support & Help Requests
LoRider
4h

Need confirmation whether the Nvidia 304.137 driver is supported in 18.04 or not. Would like to install but am holding off till I can confirm that it is.

The driver was not showing up when running tests with 18.04 b.2 a while back and the nouveau driver installed by default crashed my system repeatedly.

I reverted back to 17.01, found the 304 driver on the Canadian server, installed it and and the system ran flawlessly.

Any information pertaining to this issue would be greatly appreciated.

created
4h
last reply
1h
views
users

Rylan
1h

I wonder if we can go back to a 4.4 kernal. I am doing this with mint on this same machine in a different HD. but I have no clue how to do this in ubuntu.

Hi @Rylan,

try the following (or at least try it), the terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t) is as follows:

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-390

This is on the assumption it will work for you???. :smiley:

For reference, see also:

Hey Wolfman, I tried the 390. The total crashes stopped, but now videos are not smooth and has actually frozen forcing a hard restart of the computer. I might try the 340 driver. But this computer has always worked well with the 304. Can you tell me how to manually install the304? The Nvidia site instructions do not seem to work for me.

thanks for your help!

Hi Rylan,

304 isn’t supported so it would seem, the best option you have is the 340 package!.

To remove the other package (390) and install the 340 package, use the following terminal command:

sudo apt remove nvidia-driver-390 && sudo apt install nvidia-340

I hope it helps. :smiley:

I Tried this and it caused an error to be submitted to unbuntu. I filled in the forms and expressed my need for the 304 to be supported. We will see what happens.

Thanks

Also now vlc will not work, You tube works, but not smooth.

Hi Rylan

Same here has to be the 304…to function properly. There was an updated version a few months ago…but it seems from reading that one of the developers assigned to the driver canned it even though patches for some highly unlikely security threat were available and being offered. Here is a link that sort of sheds some light on the matter:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-304/+bug/1748000

I guess we’re shut out of this upgrade and all future versions of Ubuntu Mate LTS.

I’ll submit a report as well…hopefully it gets resolved or else it’s on to some other distro after 16.10 runs it’s course…

Hi to you both,

try changing your software sources download location to Main server if you aren’t already using it and update again, see the guide above for more info!. :smiley: Or try other servers which may have the package?. :smiley:

See the update guide for more info if you are unsure how to do this: