Order of Grouped Applications Tabs

Hi, I'm using Mate 1.24.1 with Debian Buster.

I activated grouping of windows tabs in the taskbar. The problem I have is that the order of the grouped tabs is changing all the time.

For instance, I have 19 instanes of Firefox. I click on the grouped tab, and the list deploys, and I select and work with one.
Then I can go to another application, like caja. When I click on the grouped Firefox again, the list is in a different order, and I have to search the window I'm looking for every time.
The same applies to new instances of Firefox, I'd expect them to be at the top or bottom, but they are placed anywhere.

I've worked with other desktop environments, like KDE, where the order is kept, so I can remember the approximate position on the list, and new instances are added at the bottom.

Is there any way to order this list, by creation date for instance?

Regards.

imagen

Hi
1.24.0.2 here but small correction (judging from what I see in my version):
In short; order of the window list applet is alphabetically A-Z and windows title is decided by active Firefox tab and thus window title of Firefox. It's not random (here at least).

If a window title changes while you're using some other application it will be somewhere else in the window list (still alphabetically though). Think of some youtube playlist, for example, where the windows title changes each video/song.
No way to change this as far as I can tell though, sorry.
Are you seeing different behavior? Can't tell from your screenshot...

I read something about thumbs being shown in the latest version so could very well be that you've encountered a bug of some sort.
Can't verify but worth mentioning I figured.

If it really seems completely random all of a sudden I would file a bugreport.
If you just want more sort options but the list is alphabetically I would file a feature request.

1 Like

Hi Geus,

you're right, it's not random, it's alphabetical. For me, though, it's as good as random, because I have many tabs per window, and very often I change tabs and windows in a way that can be seen as random.
Using your window list, many times I can't remember if the tab I'm looking for is in the same window as ABC, def or KLM.

Perhaps for most users, alphabetical order is the best approach? For me, it's better by modification time, so the windows I'm working with are always together at the top or bottom of the list. When you have 19 windows with many tabs, alphabetical feels like a labyrinth.

I'll follow your advice and submit a feature request.

Thanks!