Passwordsafe crashes on access to Edit Entry after upgrade to Ubuntu Mate 22.10

I have lodged the following bug report which contains a workaround to fix this problem pro tem:

passwordsafe 1.15 crashes on access to 'Edit Entry' after upgrade from Ubuntu mate 22.04.1 to Ubuntu Mate 22.10
I removed passwordsafe and passwordsafe-common from system using synaptic
then reinstalled passwordsafe-ubuntu22-1.15-amd64.deb using file downloaded from sourceforge
deb package installer warns me that a later version is available in software channel and strongly advises to install this version
I ignore this and proceed with the deb package installer
this reinstallation does not install passwordsafe-common
clicking 'Edit Entry' now allows me to view the entry
problem appears to be with passwordsafe-common 1.15
however, system wants to upgrade passwordsafe which installs the problematic passwordsafe-common
so I have placed a hold lock on passwordsafe for the time being

2 Likes

Brilliant! That saved my day.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community!

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome

1 Like

passwordsafe 1.16 now available at Download passwordsafe-ubuntu22-1.16-amd64.deb (Password Safe)
does not appear to have the problem of version 1.15 referenced above

spoke too soon
'apt update' wants to update passwordsafe 1.16 and installs passwordsafe-common as well which seems to break 'Edit Entry'
the workaround is the same as for passwordsafe 1.15
remove passwordsafe 1.16 and passwordsafe-common 1.16 using synaptic
then reinstall passwordsafe-ubuntu22-1.16-amd64.deb using file downloaded from sourceforge
deb package installer warns that a later version is available in software channel and strongly advises to install this version
ignore this and proceed with the deb package installer
this reinstallation does not install passwordsafe-common
clicking 'Edit Entry' now allows to view the entry
problem appears to be with passwordsafe-common 1.16
however, system wants to upgrade passwordsafe which installs the problematic passwordsafe-common
so place a hold lock on passwordsafe for the time being
'apt-mark hold passwordsafe' stops apt from updating and adding passworsafe-common 1.16

1 Like

FollowUp to previous post

passwordsafe 1.17 now available on sourceforge
It will install passwordsafe-common 1.17 in Mate 23.10 where everything seems to be working OK
The filename on sourceforge is: passwordsafe-ubuntu23-1.17-amd64.deb which will install OK on Mate 23.04 but does not install passwordsafe-common 1.16 or passwordsafe-common 1.17
Everything seems to be working so you can safely remove the hold lock
'apt-mark unhold passwordsafe'
So, problem fixed I guess

2 Likes