Play Bluray in VLC

Hi Jose,

I’m not quite sure what you mean by your last reply?.

I do have a question for you, are you 100% certain that your DVD drive on your PC is indeed “Blueray capable” ?.

If it did not, it couldn’t even physically read the disc, let alone mount it, but some of the messages above clearly show it was mounted.
The laser used for reading DVDs isn’t able to read Blu-rays.

hi @maximuscore,

I thought BlueRay disks could do both normal DVD playback and BlueRay which is why I asked if his DVD drive is indeed a BR capable drive?. :confused:

The competing (but long dead) HD-DVD format had a combo-variant where you had a DVD layer and a HD-DVD layer on the same disc, like SACDs also have a backwards-compatible CD layer, but for Blu-rays something like that was never used, as far as I know.

Thus there are no commercial Blu-ray discs that can also be read by a plain DVD drive.

The only thing that comes kindof close are “Mini-Blu-rays”, i.e. the filesystem and data structure of a Blu-ray burned onto a regular DVD. These are mostly useful for homemade video, due to space constraints, and not all Blu-ray players support them.

1 Like

Wolfman and Maximuscore hello, thanks for your help, with MakeMKV bluray reader works and the film makes me Mkv, then it works, VLC begins to read but can not find where it starts, the CPU is at 100%. With SMPlayer you know what gets me, will not start

Hi @Josele13,

do you have the following package installed?:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libavcodec-extra libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56 mencoder

EDIT:

The original commands given were wrong and have been replaced with an updated command for anyone else reading this thread!. :thumbsup:

Hi Wolfman, I think I have not installed, then I try to see if it works. Thank you

1 Like

Hi Jose,

this might interest you (use at your own risk!):

there is no package libavcodec extra-53

jose @ jose-GA-MA78LMT-US2H: ~ $ sudo apt-get install libavcodec-extra-53
[Sudo] password for jose:
Reading package lists ... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information ... Done
The libavcodec-extra-53 package is not available, but some other package references
to it. This may mean that the package is missing, outdated or just
available from any other source

E: The package "libavcodec-extra-53 'has no installation candidate
jose @ jose-GA-MA78LMT-US2H: ~ $

See the update guide and about activating the “Canonical Partners” repo!:

Then try installing the package again!:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libavcodec-extra libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56 mencoder

Hi Wolfman,

sorry, not work

Hi Jose,

then all I can now suggest is you do a fresh install!, if you already have a swap; root and home partition set-up, you can follow this advice and keep all your data intact! (do a back-up anyway for that just in case scenario!):

The package name is probably wrong - I can’t find a package “libavcodec-extra-53” either, but “libavcodec-extra” does exist, as does “libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56”.

1 Like

Hi @maximuscore,

you are absolutely right, they must have changed the packages around and I didn’t notice, thanks for the heads up!. :thumbsup:

Hi @Josele13,

try the following command instead of the one I gave you earlier!:

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR SOFTWARE SOURCES DOWNLOAD LOCATION SET TO MAIN SERVER!. :smiley:

Hi guys, I installed everything, but VLC 3.0 and smplayer not want to play the bluray. I buy a more old disk, it may be that this is coded differently.

Wolfman the method that you sent me is a lot for me,

Thank you…

Hi Jose,

do you mean the part about setting your software sources download location to Main server?:

Hi,

here is a link of instruction i used to get blueray working on my Ubuntu Mate.

it worked great for me, with no problems, Good Luck :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This one notably includes the link to a more recent key database than the other how-to.

hi guys, I see no solution to Bluray, I’ll try again, thanks…

hello tdmeskimo, Wimpy guide, I’ve done twice and everything that our friend has advised me Wolfman, but the VLC player and smplayer not find the disc start to play the movie. I’ll buy another disk and try. some player settings can be. the CPU is set to 100% when looking VLC the beginning of the film. possibly what happens to me is unusual but does not work. thank you very much…