Poll: Would you use an alternative Ubuntu MATE "basic" image?

Would you install an Ubuntu MATE alternative image suitable for burning to CD-ROM that contains the base Ubuntu operating system, MATE Desktop, Firefox, Ubuntu MATE settings/tweaks/integrations but none of the applications such as LibreOffice, Pidgin, Rhythmbox, VLC, etc?

The meta packages and tasks to support this already exist in what will become Ubuntu MATE 15.10 and it is possible to install Ubuntu MATE 15.10 “basic” edition using the mini.iso and ubuntu-mate-core meta package or task. Question is, do we need an alternative image? Would you use it?

• I’d always use the basic edition
  • I’d sometimes use the basic edition
  • I’d use mini.iso and basic meta package
  • I’d stick with the full edition
1 Like

yes - if by “basic” you mean MATE desktop and ‘chooseable’ apps rather than full set of apps - if so, YES

1 Like

@SuprEngr Yes, that is what I mean. You’d get a base system upon which you could curate your own setup.

I would use it. There are a lot of packages on the basic I either dont like or wont ever use.

But would the basic include Mate Tweak and the layout configs?

Thanks, Martin. Impressed by the prompt reply :slight_smile:

It would be cool if we could also select the apps we want to install during setup, as well as choosing the default interface (for example Redmond) - something that resembles the Fedora installation process would be great.

@UnkleBonehead Yes MATE Tweak is included and the layouts amd default settings etc.

@julianatanasoae Sadly that’s not possible because Ubiquity is a common utility shared by all the flavours. Technically it could be done but I’m not going to take ot on. What I am working on it an easy way to one click install a curated selection of apps that integrate well with Ubuntu MATE for easy post install setup :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unless I’m misunderstanding, if the functionality that would be in an alternative image is present with mini.iso + ubuntu-mate-core, then don’t maintain another image. The people that would use it can handle the steps, and the newbie ex-Windows users can choose the full edition.

1 Like

@Wimpy Have you considered an app store similar to what Bodhi does? It’s done through the browser with apt.

Option two for me, i don’t see the point of duplicating effort reinstalling the packages when they can be backed up from and copied back into /var/cache/apt/archives post Ubuntu (MATE) install. Then install particular packages on a need to basis.

@UnkleBonehead I didn’t know about what Bodhi did until recently, but yes, I am planning something similar where packages are installed via a website using apt.

1 Like

i could certainly see myself playing around with a basic UM image simply for the fun of seeing what I could build. However, for most practical purposes, the programs that come pre-installed on the standard UM are pretty much perfect and so I would only end up installing them anyway.

90+% of the time I’m in Firefox, and if not I’m probably using terminal, Caja, or a music player. So I’m in favo(u)r.

One of the ‘selling’ points of many distros is the included apps, but my humble opinion is that the OS shouldn’t install a bunch of non-OS stuff.

When I do a Windows installation, the only time I use IE is to get Chrome. With Linux, that’s not even necessary. I can get stuff from a repo.

The hardest thing is knowing that certain apps exist.

But I also tend to think that options are good - something for the average user, or even technical user where a lot of people tend to agree what basic apps are wanted - that’s great. But a minimal installation for others like me would be fantastic. I don’t use most of the apps that come with Ubuntu MATE, but haven’t bothered to take the time to uninstall. But definitely I’d prefer - personally - an image with essentially no apps. Especially if there was some other place to make it easy to find some basic stuff.

Take http://ninite.com/ - a great resource for Windows users for some basic apps that are spyware-free. I think of it as a tiny Windows repository.

So on the Ubuntu MATE side of things, what would be nice would be a place to list apps like ninite.com does with a little info on what each one does. If it’s easy to install from that point (from comments in this thread about integrating somehow with apt-get), that just sounds amazingly perfect to my ears.

So basically, this entire idea sounds amazingly awesome to me. “Here. Install this OS. Then go here and choose some apps that sound interesting. BAM. Customized system just for your needs.” Hells yeah. <3

2 Likes

I would use the ‘full’ package in any case. I feel it offers just the right selection of applications. Most of them I would install anyway.

It would be interesting though to be able to decide for myself during the installation process what software to install.

1 Like

This would be something I’d use the heck out of! I would totally enjoy it.

I should add that I would be totally fine with using the mini.iso if creating and maintaining the alternate image would take a lot of time from other development.

1 Like

@UnkleBonehead, What’s the thought on an app store, what change/advantage are you seeking?

@Wimpy, Is the website only for certain curated apps, or does it take the place of Software Center? Because I can see people endlessly asking why such and such is not there when it is in SC.

UM is good as it is, I would add Synaptic as a standard though!. :smiley: