Printer driver installation for MG3250

I decided long ago that as soon as I could I would abandon MS… and now that I can, and have - and having tried several Linux distros I have settled on Ubuntu Mate which looks very good. However, as newbie, I have no idea how to install the correct drivers for my Canon MG3250 printer. Can someone guide a newbie in what to do please? - many thanks.

I would also like to learn how to use the command line system - which is a good guide for a reasonably intelligent newbie please?

I cant tell you how to install your printer in Linux. But, I do have a fall-back option if all else fails.

Install Virtualbox. Install an old version of XP/Win7 in Virtualbox. Set up a shared folder that can be used by both your Linux host and also the XP/Win7 virtual machine, Connect the printer to the XP/Win7 virtual machine while it is running. Install your usual windows drivers for the printer in the virtual machine, Then, whenever you need to print something form Linux, put a copy of the file on the shared folder, fire up your virtual machine and print it from there.

To write all of the above out, it sounds really complicated. but, it really isn’t. Once set up, it adds about 30 or 40 seconds to your print job. That’s all. It basically means there is no bar to using any so called “windows-only” printer with Linux.

Thanks for your prompt reply Steve! I’ll certainly give it a go
David

A quick search reveals this thread on another forum with the same printer as yours. The driver you need is MG3200 Series IJ and for the scanner, MG3200 Series ScanHear MP.

Ubuntu (and its flavours and derivatives) are based on Debian, so the .deb packages should be (mostly) compatible. This thread is from 2014, so these instructions are still current.

As it’s a network printer, the suggestion to set a static IP address is a good idea. For example, if the printer is at 192.168.1.5 when you set it up but days later when it’s allocated 192.168.1.8 as it’s internal IP address, the computer may fail to communicate to the printer. Your router will allow you to set up static addresses for the home network.

If you’re using it via USB only, then disregard the last paragraph, the drivers are just needed.

I’ll quote and highlight the instructions from the third post:

Create a folder on your desktop called canon-mg3250

Then download the two drivers into this folder (links above).

Now open a terminal and run:

sudo apt-get install libtiff4
cd ~/Desktop/canon-mg3250
tar xvf cnijfilter-mg3200series-3.80-1-deb.tar.gz
tar xvf scangearmp-mg3200series-2.00-1-deb.tar.gz
cd ~/Desktop/canon-mg3250/cnijfilter-mg3200series-3.80-1-deb
./install.sh

Quick tip: CTRL+ALT+T opens the terminal. Pressing tab can auto-complete file names and commands.

What happens here is that we install libtiff4 from the Ubuntu repository, and extract the tar package containing Canon’s drivers. Then we execute the install script.

You will be prompted to make sure your printer is switched ON and connected to your router, then to hit enter to continue

then enter “2” for “Network” and press enter

It should search and find your printer.

Then follow the on screen instructions.

OK, that’s the printer drivers loaded…

Proceed to System → Administration → Printers to configure the printer using the newly acquired drivers… unless install.sh configured this automatically.

For the scanner:

Back in a terminal run:

cd ~/Desktop/canon-mg3250/scangearmp-mg3200series-2.00-1-deb
./install.sh

and follow any onscreen instructions.

The scanner should be usable in Simple Scan.

If these instructions do not work for you, let us know, we might be able to help you out. :smile:

[quote=“David_Blythe, post:1, topic:2412”]
I would also like to learn how to use the command line system - which is a good guide for a reasonably intelligent newbie please?[/quote]

The terminal (the shell) is a very powerful tool. If you want to learn how to work your way around it, linuxcommand.org is a nice starting point. If, and once you’re more comfortable, this in-depth Bash guide will allow you to do more with the shell and even write shell scripts.

1 Like

Thank you so much Iah7 for the prompt and detailed reply - really helpful!

I found that the libtiff4 installation didn’t work, but I found it in the software centre and installed from there. After that, all went to plan as you described - again, very much appreciated.

hanks also for the info re Linux commands - have now started on this!

1 Like