Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Adapter Compatibility?

I have the same wireless card (Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter), it doesn’t work in Linux due to driver issues…how did you get yours working?

Well I dont use the wireless and havent noticed that it wasnt working until you mentioned it. I will look into this and see what i find. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

1 Like

If you find a solution I’d appreciate a heads-up, I’ve been searching for one since I got this machine. I’ve got an external USB wireless adapter hooked up right now which is ok for while this is at home on my desk but will be an issue if/when I go mobile with this laptop.

Ok found the difference, and btw mine works now. I have ubuntu 15.10 installed and up to date. It picks up on the wireless card fine after the upgrade. If you do not want to upgrade to 15.10, i bet once you upgrade to 16.04 later this month you should see it working. The following shows that ubuntu knows mine is there:
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: Killer E220x Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: enp2s0
version: 10
serial: 34:e6:d7:25:6d:95
size: 100Mbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=alx duplex=full ip=192.168.50.235 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s
resources: irq:42 memory:f7400000-f743ffff ioport:d000(size=128)
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: wlp3s0
version: 20
serial: 2c:33:7a:69:8d:8b
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath10k_pci driverversion=4.2.0-35-generic firmware=WLAN.RM.1.1-00141 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
resources: irq:34 memory:f6800000-f69fffff

Hope this is of some help to you.

1 Like

Ok then, I guess I’ve got 16 days to wait til I should be able to unplug this external wifi adapter…Thanks for the info, I appreciate the heads-up :slight_smile:

See also:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-firmware/+bug/1529287

1 Like

Thanks, I read the bug report but I have no clue what to do with it. So I guess I’ll just have to hope 16.04 fixes the issue

Brand new Linux user here, hello everybody.

I have an ASUS B150 Gaming/Wifi/Aura mb with a G4500 skylake.
Was pumped up watching the 16.04 talk on various Jupiter Broadcasting shows.

Install went smooth but the first time boot shows “Wireless - Device not ready”. No info on what wireless chipset I’m using on the motherboard product page so I download the windows driver on to my windows box and start to install… it shows the product as Qualcomm Atheros 11ac

After rebooting the Mate machine my notification icon does not show a wireless device at all now. Running “sudo lshw -C network” returns a response of a QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter. Now what?

Some threads suggest looking for a proprietary driver to use under system settings but the only entry I see there is Unknown: Unknown - Using Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs.

I tried plugging in an old Rosewill USB wireless device to at least get online so I could do some cut/pasting into this forum but I got absolutely no response from the computer when I plugged it in. I confirmed the port was good by plugging in an external hdd and I confirmed the wireless adapter was good by running it on a windows machine. The USB device may not have worked because of my complete lack of Linux knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any help. I have tried to research it out but a lot of the advice was well over my head.

Update: Second reboot has returned my Wi-Fi Networks device not ready notification. Enable Wi-Fi is checked. Will check email in the morning to see if there has been any response.

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/16-04-no-external-display-and-still-no-wifi/5177

The first response to my post may well fix the wifi issue, it did with my laptop…

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like