Question about sub forums

Hello everyone I was wondering why there’s no sub forums for particular topics like Installation & Upgrades, Hardware, Networking & Wireless, Customizations

It would make it easier if we had these sub forums for people with these particular issues and questions

Knowing were to post a question can sometimes be difficult for some users but if we added certain areas like this dedicated to these particular topic I think it would help improve support for may users.

Is there anyway we can implementation these forums within these forums?

Thanks so much

The idea to introduce sub-forums was discussed a while back. Have you tried adding tags when you start a new thread? Could we have some more tags? @lah7
These are the ones I am missing most: firmware, ethics, installation, blu-ray, upgrades, distrotalk, and microsoft.

Hello Maro, thank so much for the input

I don’t know how tags would direct users to the appropriate forums and Pacific topics,

Well let say a user comes to the forum trying to get help with a Ubuntu mate installation

I don’t really see a forum were they get the expertise in this particular topic other then Support & Help

There are some people that have better knowledge and understanding with let’s say Ubuntu installations and trouble shooting a system when freshly installed

It just seems like a better setup all the way around and maybe you can have Mods move these topics to the appropriate forums when needed to get the help they need

It’s just a thought

The community is powered by Discourse, it’s quite different to the traditional “old school” forum software like phpBB and vBulletin (which powers Ubuntu Forums).

The trouble with subcategories is that there too many subjects to categorise, and we have enough already. The security subcategory request was rejected because of this (and other reasons below).

Instead, Tags have been adopted to group these together, as discussions may also be in other categories too (like #development-discussion and #tips-tricks-and-tutorials).

Subcategories for help & support currently go by architecture (exception of Hardware), since solutions can differ between platforms.

Ideally guests/members should utilise the search feature to find similar solutions first, or look at a list of topics by tag (e.g. #partitioning. We’d like topics to follow the posting guide to avoid the same questions being asked and answered over and over again.

@maro Thanks for the suggestions, we’ll add some of those. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We have enough sub forums, tags are great and Discourse search is better still :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Wimpy I’ll see what Discourse is about and what methods are used