Raspberry: do-release-upgrade to 18.04 LTS

Dear all. I’ve recognizd that the new version (at least of the origin version) 18.04 lts of Ubuntu mate is avaiblable. Because I’ve learned that it is no good idea to try to upgrade the Raspberry version of Ubuntu mate directly by do-release-upgrade I’ve investigated how to perform the upgrade safely. As I have found out it seems the only way of safely upgrading is to install the new version completely new. Because the version 16 is running smoothly now I don’t want to hazard this installation by performing the do-release-upgrade. Is that possible to backup all relevat configuration files and restore it after the new install of the 18.04 lts version. If I decide against the upgrade for now, how long security upgrades for the version 16 will be availabe? ubuntu-support-status tells me that most of the packages will be supported until April 2021. Does this mean that at least security updates will be provided? Answers are appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance. BR fox123

I did the upgrade from the GUI. The only thing I had to fix manually was Apache/PHP7 and Cacti.

It takes a long time because of the slow random write speed of the microsd card.

I should probably also mention I upgraded from 17.10. You could put your microsd card into another computer and take an image just in case it goes wrong and you want to restore what you have currently.