Recommended antivirus for 2022

I have seen in here some 5-year-old posts on the antivirus for Linux here, but find that some are not supported anymore. What would be your recommendation, to do the test of the whole system? I have opened possibly malicious URL and Id like to test the whole system.

Hello Juandev

I am by no means "qualified" to give you a comprehensive answer to your question. Securing a computer is a subject that fills bookshelves...
Short answer:
It is a Raspberry Pi - so just re-install.

Longer answer: It is always a question of (a) how malicous code is going to arrive on your computer, and (b) what the intention of the "bad actor" is.

(a) you have "targeted" and "opportunistic" pathways. Opportunistic usually relies upon the "user" doing something (opening an email attachment, plugging in a usb-stick they found lying on the ground in the office car park, visiting a dangerous website) that they should not have done. Targeted is usually when a criminal organisation or a nation-state has selected you as a "person-of-interest". Both of these groups will have "significant" knowledge and other resources. Unless you yourself are an expert, you will probably not be able to prevent this kind of attack.

(b) Intentions can range from "jokes" to "ransomeware" to "hardware destruction".

Summary: If you run an Ubuntu-based system i.e. an "official flavour", then networking ports are closed by default on the basic installation. This is why on a freshly installed "Ubuntu" the firewall is switched off. It is a good idea to go and switch the firewall on, even if all the ports are supposed to be closed (having more than one line of protection is called "defence-in-depth"). If you "ssh" into your Raspberry Pi you will have opened networking ports. One of the things serious "bad actors" do is to scan internet-accesible-networks for open "ssh-ports", as these generally indicate a "Linux-Server" which is a potentially worthwhile target for their "intentions". If your "Pi" is directly visible to the internet, I suggest you learn some more about "network security". There is no simple "quick fix", as there are so many things to consider which vary from one persons "situation" to another.
NOTE: If anyone sees factual errors in my post, PLEASE post correcting them. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello Juandev

This weeks "Destination Linux" podcast (Episode 262), has the title "Do You Need An Anti-Virus On Linux?".
Destination Linux - Do you need an anti-virus on linux?

The link takes you to the point where they begin to discuss this subject with a guest "expert". The main point they make is that "prevention is better than cure". :penguin: :tux_hacking: :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like