Remember window positions at Apps start

Hi,

Former KDE user here, so on the transition I’m missing a feature: How can I remember the windows positions at app start? This is very useful when you’ve a big monitor OR a multi-windows setup and don’t want to re-arrange the windows position at start.

So, any help? Mate is 1.16.2 and Ubuntu 16.04

Thanks!
R

I can suggest what I do but it’s with compiz.

“Window Rules” sets size of things like the weather app so the radar map doesn’t ALWAYS have scroll-bars.

“Place Windows” to place staples like Terminal and Caja.

It’s an old pet-peeve of mine.

1 Like

Hi there,

Unfortunately, compiz breaks on my device so I can’t use, I’m using Marco with GPU compositor. Any suggestions?

Rafael

Marco isn’t as capable as Kwin. I use Compiz on Ubuntu MATE 14.04. Marco is probably the same on Ubuntu MATE 16.04.

You should be able to find some settings for Marco if you open dconf editor.

Open dconf Editor, go to org > mate > marco > general

Look at the settings, there is a setting called
“center-new-windows”.

So basically you can open new windows top left or center them. It was a long time since I used Marco, but doesn’t it remember window positions? I have a faint memory that VLC always opened in the place where I closed it last time.

Well it’s strange because it does remember the windows positions for some apps but others are acting variable, for example some open in the same window position they were opened the first time not the last time they were closed, while others don’t remember the windows positions at all.

I’ll take a look at the dconf.

Couldn’t actually find anything useful at the dconf, could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.