Resolution does not fill TV display?

Hi, I have Ubuntu Mate 15.10 running on a pi2. I have connected it to my TV using HDMI.

The display has 2 small black bars at the top and bottom and goes off the sides a bit. The resolution is shown to be 1824x984 under displays although no options can be changed here.

I tried disabling overscan by uncommenting out the line “disable_overscan = 1”. However then the display is way too large and doesn’t fit on my TV screen.

I tried setting the frame_width and _height to 1920 and 1080 but then the display has black bars on all sides.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi,

select your screen format settings (16.9, 4.3 etc) on the TV and then look for “Fit to screen”. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi, I tried the “auto” setting on my TV but its the same.

1 Like

It has got to be “Fit to screen” or it won’t work, this has been what I have found at least!. What model TV is it?. :smiley:

1 Like

Interesting, I also have a my RPi device connected to a flat panel TV via its HDMI port using a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and have no black bars at all.

Weird, any switches on the TV itself to adjust wide and height of the screen? On my TV I can do this, and after a reboot of the RPi device, I get again the entire screen filled with the desktop environment.

What model of TV are you using then?

1 Like

It’s a Sansui. I’ll try it on my other LG TV and see what happens and post back…Thanks

Looking at a Sansui TV model here, it doesn’t have the option “Fit to screen”!:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/461795/Sansui-Lcdvd200.html?page=39

So maybe check Control Center > Hardware > Displays and see if you can do anything there?. Possibly change the screen resolution?. :smiley:

Hi, none of the options can be changed there and there’s only the one resolution shown…

Have you tried “xrand”?. :smiley:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

Yes, it gives maxmimum, minimum and current all as the same resolution 1824x984. Trying to chnage the resolution using xrand gives mode not found.

I also tried it on my other LG TV and the result is the same.

Try lowering the res using xrand and see if that does anything. :smiley:

Cannot find mode…

Open Control Center > Hardware > Displays > Resolution and change it there?.

If you move the mouse up the screen even if you cannot see the top panel, you should get a readout from the mouse pointer to open the menu!.

Or open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and type:

mate-control-center

hi,

i have the same problem, can fixed ? but my problem is with the monitor samsumg syncmaster 22, exaxtly the same of you, in mi tv lg 32 lcd dont happend waiting your answer thx

all desktop can see, the problem is the max res is 1920 x 1080 inthe tv or the monitor, but mate show 1800 x 900 for example, and say the monitor is unknow

I’m having the same problem now when hooking up the RPi 2 B device with UbuntuMATE 15.10.1 on a Medion flat panel HD1080p TV screen using a standard HDMI cable:

Black borders above and below, to the right and to the left and the OSD shows 720p@60Hz. The display settings of UbuntuMATE show a resolution of 1184x624 and a refresh rate of 0Hz.

Using “mate-control-center” I cannot change to any other screen resolution.

It seems that screen resolution is determined during the power on cycle of the RPi 2 B device only.

When using the “disable_overscan=1” option in “/boot/config.txt”, it simply shows the desktop outside of the screen area, i.e. the top menu bar flows off the top screen, I cannot select any of the top bar menus and had to unplug power :frowning:

Following the CONFIG.TXT documentation, I typed on the shell prompt the command

sudo /opt/vc/bin/tvservice -s

and am getting the following results

state 0x12000a [HDMI CEA (4) RGB lim 16:9], 1280x720 @ 60.00Hz, progressive

which lets me interpret that the correct supported resolution has been identified from my monitor.

Typing the command

sudo vcgencmd get_config int

yields to the following output

framebuffer_depth=32
framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1
framebuffer_swap=1
hdmi_drive=2
overscan_bottom=48
overscan_left=48
overscan_right=48
overscan_top=48
hdmi_force_cec_address=65535
lcd_framerate=60
pause_burst_frames=1

however not sure how these values are being determined, since not explicitly set in the “config.txt” file from my side.

I’m looking at the “/boot/edid.dat” hack described in a post of the Raspberry Pi forum when using the tvservice tool.

Interesting situation: Just happens that I'm playing the Pi Edition of Minecraft, and the application gets displayed over the black borders on the left hand side of the screen as depicted with:

I cannot move the Minecraft application to any other position within the screen.

Thus, not sure sure how this relates to the UbuntuMATE desktop of having black borders around it.

I have the same problem with pi3, 16.04 and full hd tv.
I uncommented the values 0 for the 4 overscan, no changes !
overscan_bottom=0
overscan_left=0
overscan_right=0
overscan_top=0

and the control center always showing resolution 1824x984 instead of 1920 X 1080

I had a similar problem with Mint not picking a suitable resolution.
For me I found a procedure which solved it, to some extent, but, initially, needed to be repeated after each boot.
You need to use xrandr to see current resolutions,
cvt to get a set of parameters for a desired (and possible) resolution,
xrandr – newmode … to create the new mode line,
xrandr --addmode … to add it to the list for your monitor.
You should then be able to select that resolution.
HTH
Derek

The solution for a full hd tv or mnitor
write in the config.sys
disable_overscan=0
overscan_bottom=-48
overscan_left=-48
overscan_right=-48
overscan_top=-48

reboot : no margins and
the control center show the good resolution 1920*1080

How does it work I don’t know, the overscan were not suppose to be negative… but it works.

I didn’t use my pi since several months and I forgetted that I found already this solution in:
https://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?pid=21516606#p21516606

2 Likes