Simple-scan cannot see LAN Brother MFC-9840CDW

Here is the Brother printer properties screenshot. (I don't have properties from xsane for the scanner, as no scanner is detected.)

I am in over my head here. I am not sure exactly what, guillef, you mean by type-4 scanner. I seem to have brscan3 instead. Is that the problem?

This is the output of brscan-skey -l
MFC-9840CDW : brother3:net1;dev0 : 192.168.1.2 Active

Here is the output of kpkg -l grep | Brother
ii brscan-skey 0.2.4-1 amd64 Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii brscan3 0.2.13-1 amd64 Brother Scanner Driver
ii mfc9840cdwcupswrapper:i386 1.0.3-1 i386 Brother CUPS Color laser Printer Definitions
ii mfc9840cdwlpr:i386 1.0.3-1 i386 Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii printer-driver-brlaser 3-5 amd64 printer driver for (some) Brother laser printers
ii printer-driver-ptouch 1.4.2-2 amd64 printer driver Brother P-touch label printers

And here’s the output of scanimage -L:
No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

Thank you for looking at this and telling me what you see, and what you think I should do next.

I did run sudo brsaneconfig3 -a name=Brother model=MFC-9840CDW ip=192.168.1.2
It seemed to run without error, but then scanimage -L still did not detect any device (just like before)
BTW, I have brscan3, I believe, because that is what the Brother Install Tool (recommended by Brother tech support) originally installed.

That’s all I have done, or know how to do. Suggestions are welcome. Thx.

Here is what I did to get my Brother printer/scanner working in 17.10. The fix for me was downloading this new driver from Brother - linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1

The instructions below have been modified to reflect your Brother printer/scanner.

First, I moved the driver install file into its own folder, “Downloads/Brother_MFC-9840CDW”
Then, I used Engrampa to extract the installer from linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1.gz
Then, I used “open terminal here” in the Downloads/Brother_MFC-9840CDW folder and ran “sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1 MFC-9840CDW”
The installer ran. Lots of stuff (128 packages?) appeared to be downloaded and installed. I agreed to all requests after scanning the EULAs.
Finally, when asked “Will you specify the Device URI? [Y/n]” I entered Y (yes) and, when asked for a number corresponding to my choice, I entered some number, 14 I think. Then I entered 192.168.1.2 as its local IP address.
You should wind up with the device URI as socket://192.168.1.2:9100 I said yes to print a test page. After this, the installer finished by installing scanning software that Xsane can use.

Maybe this will help? Good luck @tomilo

Thank you, @mdooley.

I ran the same Brother installer package. I did everything similar to what you describe, except I put the ip address as the URi. As you see, I ended up at the same place, with the same Device URI. Still mine is not working. How could I uninstall all of this and start over?

I didn’t un-install anything when I finally got my Brother working in 17.10, I just installed over my failed previous install. If you look in the folder where you extracted the installer, you should see several un-installers there which appear to be bash command files. I’ve never used those.

Maybe you should just run the installer again?

Edit: I just ran the install again (this time in 16.04 - was asked the IP for the scanner too, odd) and this is the number request that I spoke of above -

0: smb
1: beh
2: ipps
3: ipp14
4: socket
5: ipp
6: https
7: lpd
8: http
9: serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
10: hp
11: hpfax
12: dnssd://Brother%20HL-2280DW._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/
13: lpd://BRW008092C8CE3F/BINARY_P1
14 (I): Specify IP address.
15 (A): Auto. (dnssd://Brother%20HL-2280DW._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/)

select the number of destination Device URI. ->

I entered 14 and then entered my IP, 192.168.1.3. In printer properties, I appended the port number, :9100, as well as changing a few other printer properties.

Please look at http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/download_scn.html for how Brother categorize their scanners models by type, and yes, the MFC-9840CDW is type 3
Here are the instructions to install the scanner driver for network on Linux: http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/instruction_scn1b.html?c=us_ot&lang=en&redirect=on
Here the ones to install the Scan-key-tool: http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/instruction_scn3.html?c=us_ot&lang=en&comple=on&redirect=on
If you look again at my screenshot of the printer properties, you will see that the Device URI setting specify socket://192.168.1.254 WITHOUT adding a port number. The setup tool use just the IP number.

1 Like

tomilo, I missed your input about your settings, I’m sorry. You got the wrong scanner driver. For type 3 scanners on Debian based Linux distros with 64 bit CPU, the scanner driver is the brscan3-0.2.11-5.amd64 and you installed the brscan3 0.2.13-1 amd64; on the other hand, the driver for the brscan-skey is the correct one.
Again, go to http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/download_scn.html , look for brscan3 models and click on the “brscan3 64 bit” link and it will allow you to download the correct deb package.

1 Like

I have a Brother MFCJ 480DW Printer installed on my 16.04 installation. I had a problem and remove it, and now cannot find it as ia32-libs had no installation candidate. I added program:i386 and ia32-libs is now there but cannot be installed because of package dependencies. If I try it breaks the package. I think recent updates are the problem. I can still print as I dual boot Debian Jessie Mate, but it makes it more of a pain. I have to reboot to Debian, mount Ubuntu and then open what I want to print and then can print.

mdooley and guillef and all,
Thank you for your input. I still cannot scan, xsane still does not detect my Brother scanner, also it seems to be properly installed. Anyway, the bottom line seems to be a permission problem of some kind, which would make sense. Here is what I have tried to do:
Uninstalled the Brother scan driver and scan key and reinstalled them. Here is what I see now:
OptiPlex-780:~/Downloads$ dpkg -l | grep Brother
ii brscan3 0.2.11-5 amd64 Brother Scanner Driver
ii mfc9840cdwcupswrapper:i386 1.0.3-1 i386 Brother CUPS Color laser Printer Definitions
ii printer-driver-brlaser 3-5 amd64 printer driver for (some) Brother laser printers
ii printer-driver-ptouch 1.4.2-2 amd64 printer driver Brother P-touch label printers
OptiPlex-780:~/Downloads$ brsaneconfig3 -q | grep broscan
0 broscan “MFC-9840CDW” I:192.168.1.2

Brother told me to try to verify the Scanner Permissions with the following Terminal Command.
strace xsane 2>&1 | grep EACCES | sort -u

Here is the result:
OptiPlex-780:~/Downloads$ strace xsane 2>&1 | grep EACCES | sort -u
openat(AT_FDCWD, “/dev/bus/usb/001/001”, O_RDWR) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
openat(AT_FDCWD, “/dev/bus/usb/002/001”, O_RDWR) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
openat(AT_FDCWD, “/dev/bus/usb/003/001”, O_RDWR) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
openat(AT_FDCWD, “/dev/bus/usb/004/001”, O_RDWR) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
openat(AT_FDCWD, “/dev/bus/usb/004/002”, O_RDWR) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
openat(AT_FDCWD, “/dev/bus/usb/004/003”, O_RDWR) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
openat(AT_FDCWD, “/dev/bus/usb/005/001”, O_RDWR) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
openat(AT_FDCWD, “/dev/bus/usb/006/001”, O_RDWR) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
openat(AT_FDCWD, “/dev/bus/usb/007/001”, O_RDWR) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
openat(AT_FDCWD, “/dev/bus/usb/008/001”, O_RDWR) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
openat(AT_FDCWD, “/dev/port”, O_RDWR|O_NOCTTY) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

Since this is saying permission denied, could that be the source of my problem? What should I do to fix it?

Thanks for taking another look.

This is what I got when I entered your command:

michael@D830:~$ strace xsane 2>&1 | grep EACCES | sort -u
open("/dev/bus/usb/001/001", O_RDWR)    = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/dev/bus/usb/002/001", O_RDWR)    = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/dev/bus/usb/003/001", O_RDWR)    = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/dev/bus/usb/004/001", O_RDWR)    = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/dev/bus/usb/005/001", O_RDWR)    = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/dev/bus/usb/006/001", O_RDWR)    = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/dev/bus/usb/007/001", O_RDWR)    = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/dev/bus/usb/007/002", O_RDWR)    = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/dev/bus/usb/007/003", O_RDWR)    = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/dev/port", O_RDWR|O_NOCTTY)      = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

I had to close Xsane before my strace xsane 2>&1 | grep EACCES | sort -u command displayed any results. Note that my result differs from yours in that your openat(AT_FDCWD, "/dev is replaced by my open("/dev Mine says permission denied but my scanner and Xsane both work. Good luck @tomilo

Edit: I get nothing when In enter the brsaneconfig3 -q | grep broscan command even though I change it to “brscanconfig4” to match my scanner type. I wonder why?

Additional edit: Here are the results of the grep command just to complete this:

michael@D830:~$ dpkg -l | grep Brother
ii  brscan-skey     0.2.4-1     amd64     Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii  brscan4         0.4.4-3     amd64     Brother Scanner Driver
ii  cupswrapperhl2280dw:i386     2.0.4-2     i386     Brother HL2280DW CUPS wrapper driver
ii  hl2280dwlpr:i386             2.1.0-1     i386     Brother HL-2280DW LPR driver
ii  printer-driver-brlaser     3-5~ubuntu1     amd64     printer driver for (some) Brother laser printers
ii  printer-driver-ptouch        1.4-1         amd64     printer driver Brother P-touch label printers

broscan is just my name for my scanner. You probably use a different name.

Actually, I’ve never thought to name a scanner. How did you manage to do that? And in what situation is a scanner name advantageous?

mdooley, I only named it because the brsaneconfig3 -a tool has a name= option that I thought I needed to use, and I wanted it to be short and different from the model number which is another option on that command. If I figure out what is keeping my scanner from being recognized and get it working, I will come back and share what I did to fix it. It is not scanning now. Thanks again for looking over my problem!

I was not able to resolve the scanning issue last time around. I took a break and printed/scanned with USB while I made some changes to my network. Starting over with installing my 9840CDW on the LAN, I followed the instructions on this website: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15. I am able to print fine from the Brother on the LAN, but still not able to scan. xsane does not dectect a scanner. I am including a screen shot of the current printer properties and info on what Brother drivers are installed, from terminal commands. The driver versions were chosen by the linux-brprinter-installer tool from the Brother website under my model. I don't know what I have done wrong, but it sure would be nice to be able to scan! Thank you for taking another look at my setup . . .

tomsomers@tomsomers-OptiPlex-780:~$ dpkg -l | grep Brother
ii brscan3 0.2.13-1 amd64 Brother Scanner Driver
tomsomers@tomsomers-OptiPlex-780:~$
tomsomers@tomsomers-OptiPlex-780:~$ brscan-skey -l

MFC-9840CDW : brother3:net1;dev0 : 192.168.1.2 Active
tomsomers@tomsomers-OptiPlex-780:~$ scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
tomsomers@tomsomers-OptiPlex-780:~$ brsaneconfig3 -a name=MFC-9840CDW model=MFC-9840CDW ip=192.168.1.2
"MFC-9840CDW" is already registered.
tomsomers@tomsomers-OptiPlex-780:~$

After trying to get my scanner working on another laptop in UM 17.10, I dialed up the Brother web pages and tried the last resort - RTFM. As I went through the steps, it occurred to me that I needed this exercise just to give me a perspective on what new users face in just getting around in a new OS.

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/instruction_scn1b.html?c=us_ot&lang=en&redirect=on

First things first, the web pages were unreadable as far as certain segments of the terminal commands so I tended to highlight the suggested commands and put them in a text file where they became a lot more clear, at least to me. I did not want to go through this stuff more than once as I have limited patience.

The Brother page above is for installing a scanner driver on your network. My scanner has a fixed IP as does every device normally found on my network.

Skipping Step 2 (as I knew I qualified), I went to the Scanner Driver download page (Step 3) and read through the text to see what Brother thought I might need. Mine turned out to be a brscan4 model so I downloaded brscan4 64bit and the scan-key-tool 64bit into a subdirectory of Downloads/HL2280DW/artful/ called scanner where I did all my subsequent work.

By the way tomilo, the scanner driver for your MFC-9840CDW appears to be brscan3-0.2.11-5.amd64.deb (assuming that you have a 64 bit OS). That may be where your difficulty lies at this particular moment.

As my printer/scanner was on as it always is, I opened a terminal in my working directory and proceeded to install the scanner driver (Step 4).

sudo dpkg -i --force-all brscan4-0.4.2-1.amd64.deb

and then checked to see if the driver actually was installed. It was.

sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother

michael@latitudinary:~$ sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother
[sudo] password for michael: 
ii  brscan-skey               0.2.4-1  amd64  Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii  brscan4                   0.4.2-1  amd64  Brother Scanner Driver
ii  cupswrapperhl2280dw:i386  2.0.4-2  i386   Brother HL2280DW CUPS wrapper driver
ii  hl2280dwlpr:i386          2.1.0-1  i386   Brother HL-2280DW LPR driver
ii  printer-driver-brlaser    3-5      amd64  printer driver for (some) Brother laser printers

The scanner was still not working at this point (using xsane) so I continued into Step 5.

brsaneconfig4 -a name=Brother scanner model=HL2280DW ip=192.168.1.3

The Brother page has examples at the bottom by the way. I confirmed my network scanner entry -

brsaneconfig4 -q | grep Brother

michael@latitudinary:~$ brsaneconfig4 -q | grep Brother
  0 Brother  "HL2280DW"  I:192.168.1.3

It turned out that the name of the scanner had to be a single word, not two words as I entered above. I realized my error and corrected for it.

I then ran scankey -

michael@latitudinary:~$ brscan-skey -l

Brother : brother4:net1;dev0 : 192.168.1.3 Active

Xsane then detected the device. Ahh! Success.

My printer properties varies from yours in that mine is tied to a fixed IP. Another source of difficulty?
Good luck @tomilo

Thank you, @mdooley. Just to update you. Before I solved my scanning issue with the 9840, I got hardware failures with it, since it was a pretty old unit, and I am replacing it, waiting for a Brother DCP-L5650DN to arrive. When it does, I will tackle its installation and see whether I have better luck with it. Probably in a week’s time I will have a report. Thanks again.

Good luck tomilo. New is often better than old.

hi everyone on this thread,
i realise it is a bit old but it has been of some help to me. i have a brother printer+scanner & i got the printer working no trouble at all but have never managed to get my laptop to find the scanner (trying intermittently for 2 years now). i had not previously found the link https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/instruction_scn1b.html?c=us_ot&lang=en&redirect=on - so i have just gone through & done this & installed everything & have had some improvement - now at least my scanner applications are seeing that there is a scanner there, this never happened before; but i still cannot scan. both simplescan & Xsane find the scanner but then freeze up & i have to force quit.

when i ran scankey ( brscan-skey -l) the result was:
scanner : brother4:net1;dev0 : 62.216.204.114 Not responded

so i think the problem is this "Not responded", as Mdooley above has "Active". the printer is definitely turned on - it goes idle when not in use, but i have manually turned it on as well when i ran scankey.

when i installed the driver i was not able to do "--force-all " - it just would not install, so i installed it without that part of the command and then installed the scankey driver separately. could this have caused the problem?

any ideas much appreciated!

Hello I was having similar problems, printer work and recognise the machine, but no LAN/WIFI scanning. I am using Ubuntu 20.04 on a laptop. Printer is Brother DCP-L2520DW

I downloaded & installed the drivers from Brother for my DCP-L2520DW from here
https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=dcpl2520dw_us_eu&os=128#SelectLanguageType-566_0_1

Both Scanner Driver and Scanner Setting File Driver.

I set my Printer with a static IP on the WIFI router, i.e. 192.168.1.140

Then I follow these instructions (on the driver download pages)

1. Download the driver.

2. Login as a superuser (or use "sudo" option if required) .

3. Install the driver.

4. Turn on your MFC/DCP and connect the USB cable.

5. Open the terminal and go to the directory where the driver is.

6. Install the scanner driver.
    4.Command (for dpkg) : dpkg -i --force-all (scanner-drivername)*

7. Check if the driver is installed.

5.Command (for dpkg) : dpkg -l | grep Brother*

1. For Network Users:
    ***Use brsaneconfig (for brscan models), brsaneconfig2 (for brscan2 models), brsaneconfig3 (for brscan3 models), brsaneconfig4 (for brscan4 models IUSED THIS FOR MY PRINTER ) or brsaneconfig5 (for brscan5 models) accordingly.

Add network scanner entry
Command :
brsaneconfig4 -a name=(name your device) model=(model name) ip=xx.xx.xx.xx

Confirm network scanner entry
Command :
brsaneconfig4 -q | grep (name of your device)

Open a scanner application and try a test scan.

Disconneted the USB Cable and ..... IT RECOGNISE THE scanner both on Xsane and in Document Scanner.

Cheers
Fabrizio