Software Updater invisible unless I alt-tab

I use the dock applet for Mate panel as my window list (vertical panel). When the Software Updater pops up (default settings), it starts minimized (I guess to not interfere with whatever I’m doing at the moment). This would be fine, except that it doesn’t show up in the dock until I alt-tab into it.
If I wouldn’t use alt-tab, I would never know there were updates at all, leading to potential security issues.
I’m using Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1, on two systems (Skylake and Sandy Bridge).

I’ve reported it to the dock applet developer, but I’m not 100% sure that’s where the problem is, so I thought I’d post here as well.

1 Like

Hi @thomasn, Software Updater is surely doing something unusual. Like you said, it’s probably so it doesn’t interfere. But this behavior is also causing strangeness in compiz:

It’s well down the topic before I found out it was compiz-only.

Sorry no solution but I have to think these are somehow related as they both occur with the minimized appearance of an update from Software Manager. I don’t use a dock but I’m curious if you also happen to be running compiz as your window manager?

I’m running Marco (software compositor), so it’s not the exact same issue. It could still be related of course.