[Solved] Mate 16.04 VLC acceleration not available

Hello all :slight_smile:

I don’t have OpenMax IL hardware accelerated video playback in VLC :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I have a raspberry 2 with ubuntu mate 16.04 installed (i did a terminal upgrade from 15.04 using this page How to upgrade Ubuntu (Mate) via the terminal and a sudo rpi-update).
So I should have :

Ubuntu MATE 16.04 added OpemMAX IL hardware accelerated video playback to VLC
and MMAL hardware accelerated video playback to ffmpeg.
To enable hardware accelerated video playback in VLC go to Tools -> Preferences -> Video and select OpenMax IL.
To use hardware accelerated video playback with ffplay you must specify the h264_mmal codec
ffplay -vcodec h264_mmal video.mp4

But I don’t ! :frowning: that are weeks I am trying to fix this :frowning:
Do I have something to change in /boot/config.txt ?

Can someone help me please ?
Thank you very much !
Sebastien

Hi @zzzeb,

I have no idea about RaspberryPi but does this help you at all?:

https://jan.newmarch.name/LinuxSound/Diversions/RaspberryPiOpenMAX/

Hi wolfman !

Thanks for the link !
I look at that but … well … i am a little bit lost … it looks like more development page …there are lines of code … :frowning: and nothing talking about how to make it available into VLC.

I looked all over the internet … it looks like I am the only one to get problem with the 16.4.

Do some people have it and confirm they have OpenMax IL available ? Did you smg special ? Did you come from an 15.04 upgrade (i suspect that could be my problem) ?

Sebastien

Hi Sebastian,

have you considered downgrading to Ubuntu 14.04?, I don’t have any other ideas sorry!. :smiley:

In did 16.04 is supposed to give me acceleration functionality : https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/
(see “Hardware accelerated video with VLC and ffmpeg” section)

So I don’t really want to downgrade it didn’t work before neither

Please wait for one of the devs to come along as I really have no idea, maybe @Wimpy or @lah7 can help you as I believe they both use Raspi!. :smiley:

Ok I will wait.
Thanks wolfman !

1 Like

I may have smg :
i looked into my ppa sources and found this ppa source desactivated due to the upgrade to 16.04 :
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-pi-flavour-makers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Then I activated back and reinstalled VLC. I could get the OpenMax IL option available in VLC ! :slight_smile: but guess what … ?! It doesn’t work and doesn’t play the video …

sooooo … I think I have problem with my PPA sources. Maybe not the good ones related to raspberry ? :confused:

here is the result to list my ppa sources ls -l /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ :

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 juil. 16 20:24 flexiondotorg-ubuntu-minecraft-wily.list => NOT ACTIVATED
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 146 juin 14 21:22 flexiondotorg-ubuntu-minecraft-wily.list.distUpgrade => NOT ACTIVATED
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 juil. 16 20:24 flexiondotorg-ubuntu-minecraft-wily.list.save => NOT ACTIVATED
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 148 juil. 16 20:42 ubuntu-mate-dev-ubuntu-welcome-xenial.list
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 148 juil. 16 20:42 ubuntu-mate-dev-ubuntu-welcome-xenial.list.save
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 juil. 16 20:16 ubuntu-pi-flavour-makers-ubuntu-ppa-wily.list => NOT ACTIVATED
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 237 juin 14 21:22 ubuntu-pi-flavour-makers-ubuntu-ppa-wily.list.distUpgrade => NOT ACTIVATED
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 juil. 16 20:16 ubuntu-pi-flavour-makers-ubuntu-ppa-wily.list.save => NOT ACTIVATED
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 juil. 16 20:42 ubuntu-pi-flavour-makers-ubuntu-ppa-xenial.list => NOT ACTIVATED
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 juil. 16 20:42 ubuntu-pi-flavour-makers-ubuntu-ppa-xenial.list.save => NOT ACTIVATED
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 juil. 16 19:48 videolan-ubuntu-master-daily-xenial.list => NOT ACTIVATED
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 juil. 16 19:48 videolan-ubuntu-master-daily-xenial.list.save => NOT ACTIVATED

Is there smg wrong ?
(bonus question : how do I verify if I still have installed packet from this “ubuntu-pi-flavour-makers” source ?)

@wolfman, no I don’t really know about hardware acceleration, I don’t actively use my Raspberry Pi, but know some technical differences.

@zzzeb, upgrading the Raspberry Pi edition of Ubuntu MATE isn’t actually supported, so you may wish to check if it is really running 16.04:

lsb_release -a

To check / enable PPAs, open up Software & Updates and check any PPAs that were disabled. Also check and edit each entry to check the release line reads “xenial” and not “wily”

1 Like

Hello @lah7 !
Thank you for your answer. As I said, i followed this page to upgrade which seems to be an official way given by @wolfman : How to upgrade Ubuntu (Mate) via the terminal

lsb_release -a

gives :

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

My PPAs active in Software&Updates ( i deleted other few hours ago)

Hi @zzzeb,

that command is for normal Ubuntu (Mate) only, not Raspi and that is why it won’t load anything to do with LSB I believe!. :frowning:

I don’t know about Raspi sorry!. :frowning:

@lah7, thanks for the heads-up, I will make a mental note of that!. :thumbsup:

Hello all

Then i still I have my problem :disappointed_relieved:
I don’t have OpenMax IL hardware accelerated video playback in VLC

Can someone help me please ?
Thank you very much !
Sebastien

Hello;
I followed this link : Could you share your PPA list?
And updated my ppa list.

Now http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-pi-flavour-makers/ppa/ubuntu is back and using apt-get install upgrade I get the vlc properly compiled with OpenMax IL

And guess what ?! That works !! :))))))))

1 Like

Can we mark this (or you) as solved now?. :smiley:

1 Like