Telegram segfaults

Hello i have a problem particular with the program telegram. i downloaded the software from the site https://desktop.telegram.org/ but it does not work.
Trying to execute it nothing happens. In proprierties the box "make executable" is selected. The file works in all the others distributions xubuntu, lubuntu, ubuntu, even mate... dont work on ubuntu mate not in 15.04 beta 2 and not event in 14.04.2

Do you have a 64 Bit system and did you click on the link “Show all platforms” so you can select the 64 Bit version if necessary?. :smiley:

sorry. No i have a 32 bit system. And i download the correct architetture.

Hi Alex,

try this PPA:

Telegram is busted. Not just for Ubuntu MATE. The latest version of Telegram segfaults on most distributions :cry:

i tried it now on every other distribution and it works

i tryed the ppa, it installs telegram, i see it in internet but if i click on it doesnt start

Check the FAQ's:

what about in the faqs?
The strange is that its only a ubuntu mate problem.
I made in the same pc a fresh install of mint, xubuntu and kubuntu, it works

Hi Alex,

I thought there might be something in the FAQ’s that might help you, nothing more!. :smiley:

nothing the app does not start. I succedeed to start it going with terminal in the directori and do

sudo ./Telegram

The terminal gives me some errors but the app in this ways starts

a

le@HP:~/Scaricati/Telegram$ sudo ./Telegram
[sudo] password for ale: 
libs init..
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:947:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:947:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connessione rifiutata (111)
Cannot connect to server socket err = File o directory non esistente
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started

If you run: “unset QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE ; ./Telegram” in the same dir Telegram is installed it starts fine…

1 Like

how can i make a launcher in the desktop with that command to open the app?

I can confirm this works. I now have a script that unsets the variable and launches Telegram but at least I can now chat to people again.

EDIT: Workaround fed back to Telegram’s github issue entry with a polite request to fix.

1 Like

can you tell me how to do the script?

This is what I’ve done.

Assuming that Telegram is installed at /opt/telegram/.

Open a terminal and type:

echo "unset QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE; /opt/telegram/Telegram" | tee TelegramLaunch.sh
chmod ugo+x TelegramLaunch.sh
sudo cp TelegramLaunch.sh /opt/telegram/

Now change the launcher to run TelegramLaunch.sh instead of Telegram or just run /opt/telegram/Telegram from a shell.

1 Like

i reported the problem to telegram team, they contacted me and it seems they fixed, if someone of you it’s using telegram,
now just download the new versione from 0.8.13 now it seems it works. Thank yu telegram, great user support

1 Like

@Alex_G Many thanks for working with the Telegram team!

Hi - i got mine working this way.

Cheers

I can report that the new version, 0.8.17, now works without changing the QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE setting for me so the workaround may not be needed anymore.

No, I didn’t remove anything. I just let the application update via the PPA.

1 Like