Some RTL Issues that i have Discovered/'Welcome' Isn't RTL Compliant

Oh! Thank you! Ill be Sure to Check that out. Will the Support for RTL Come out with Ubuntu MATE 20.04?

Yes, it'll also roll out to users running 18.04+ as it's a snap package.

1 Like

Nice! Great to hear, Thank you.
I'll Bring up any issues if there is to be any.

A slight Question:

Where would the Ubuntu MATE Installer Strings Be Located? So i could Add some Further Translation.
Also While most of the installer Is RTL Pressing the Right Arrow Button makes the Next slide Come from the Left Like it would Normally in English. Essentially if you press the Left Arrow button. the Next slide would come from the right side. as opposed to the Left side.

@lah7 Though Probably Much more Critical! After Putting the Password in this Nice (And full of Hebrew typos) Login screen:

Which After Logging in. Right about when the "Welcome" Program start to Load up:
The OS Crashes And then Goes back to the Login screen. I believe there might be an Issue with your RTL Code. although i noticed that the Title bar and the Window Controls were indeed in the right place right before loading the "Welcome" Text. the OS crashes. (Note: I tested this on 20.04 Daily build)

Right here:

The slide show is actually shared across Ubuntu and its flavours, it would be worth reporting the slide transition as a bug on Launchpad.

Translations for the login screen are here:

Later this week, we should be launching our new website which has a section listing all the programs for translating. I actually missed off Slick Greeter, so thanks for the nudge :slight_smile:

It's definitely not the RTL code since the version in the daily ISO is still the "stable" version of Welcome. The new code is still in "beta" channel of the snap which can be activated with this Terminal command:

snap refresh ubuntu-mate-welcome --channel beta

It is likely that Welcome did crash the system. I haven't been following the bug closely, but it might be due to 3D acceleration in VirtualBox.

FYI i Ran the Test with 3D acceleration off.

It seems i do not have Rights to make Changes but only leave suggestions. I'm assuming it would mean asking for Permission From the Ubuntu Hebrew Team If i wish to make those Changes myself.

Regarding the Login Screen. i Think the issue might Reside in MATE Desktop, as i have seen the very same Typo countless times in MATE's Transifex. Which i Went ahead and fixed. (the Typo was Passwrd instead of Password but in Hebrew)

Other Than that. i Safely assume that the crash is caused by Welcome in 20.04 in all Versions and isn't Caused by the RTL Code then.

This Looks Really Nice! (Aside from the Logo needing to be LTR since its Only English and Numbers)
This is on the Live Test though.
Turning on 3D on Virtualbox. worked fine (installed)in English with no Updates and 3rd party Downloads.
on Hebrew Crashes the OS when Installed Although with Updates and 3rd party.
i'll Be seeing if it crashes with Hebrew with no Updates or 3rd party Downloads.
i'd Like to thank you for your Vast Patience and your Great assistance.

1 Like

Glad to hear! I notice the "Close" button is still in English, not sure if it's because it hasn't been translated or if it's the same bug I thought I fixed. :thinking: Will need to investigate.

I'll fix the "MATE ubuntu", it's currently two separate graphics which is why it ended up RTL. Should the "20.04" be on the left or right?

Once fixed, it will automatically be deployed to the beta snap in the background within 24 hours.

It Should be displayed like in the English Version "UbuntuMATE 20.04" Since if theres Only English Letters and Numbers. there is No need for RTL. And so it'd be correct to write it in LTR. Just Top Logo.

As far as i know This is the Only Close button translation.

The title of the program is also named "Welcome" But i can't seem to find a way to make the Title Change to what it is in Hebrew. and judging by all the resources. everything named Just "Welcome" is already Translated.

Both of those issues are fixed. :white_check_mark:

• Logo enforces LTR.
  • Actually fixed the general locales - like "Welcome" in the title bar and the "Close" button. Turns out I didn't actually fix it properly the first time.

Updates will make their way to you via the beta snap channel in the next 24 hours.

1 Like

Thank you Very much! Also I really liked the Color selection Feature! Nice addition.

1 Like

How would you Translate the 'Program Name' and Description when you Mouse over it on the menu?
I didn't find that on Transifex.

It's definitely there under ubuntu-mate-welcome.pot.

If it's recently been translated, the new translations won't appear until a developer manually syncs them, which will be closer to release.

1 Like

I don't think that is the case.
All Mentioning of "Welcome" Or Software Boutique have been Translated under ubuntu-mate-welcome.pot Around 3 years ago.

The strings are definitely there:

• "Welcome"
  • "Start here with helpful resources and utilities"
  • "Software Boutique"
  • "Discover software from a curated collection that compliments Ubuntu MATE"

Yes but it doesn't appear on the menu. It does appear on the task bar with its translation. And on top of the program.

I'm pretty sure it's because the translations haven't been synced yet.

• :speech_balloon: Translate → :arrows_counterclockwise: Sync (developer task):package: Package/snap is updated (automatic)

Translating on Transifex does not immediately update the application.

But these are 3 year old. Wouldn't it have been synced by now?
it started appearing on the taskbar and window title after your very generous fix of the Close button and the title bar.

I just checked the snap - /snap/ubuntu-mate-welcome/495/meta/gui - these launchers are what will be used in the :ubuntu_mate: Menu.

There is a translation there for he_IL, so I'm not quite sure why it's not appearing for you?

I just tried switching my system to :fr: fr_FR, log out, log in and can confirm the launcher says "Bienvenue".

What locales are configured on your system? :terminal: :

locale