Status of Ubuntu MATE 18.04 for Raspberry Pi 3 B & B+?

Oh okay. I just hope linux-firmware-raspi2 gets updated so that it ships with Bluetooth firmware files. It already ships with WiFi firmware for the Pi 3B/3B+/3A+.

Multiple people including myself have been redirected to various dodgy websites when directly visiting the Ubuntu Pi Flavour Maker About page. Could you look into this?

With the exception of this Discourse instance, all the sites are static HTML. Nothing has been hacked, as some implied, since there is nothing to hack.

That said, I have updated the TLS configuration at the CDN for all domains, not just the flavour maker site. All http requests are now redirected to https, strict https is enabled and all redirections are proceed and terminated at the CDN.

That has made it possible to completely disable http, for every domain, on the origin servers. All origin server connections are verified with a client certificate to ensure they originate from the frontend CDN.

1 Like

Does the RPi GPIO library like RPi.GPIO work for you guys?

I am not negative. I am frustrated. Frustrated by the abandonment of users. Frustrated by the dishonesty surrounding that abandonment.

You seem to have taken exception with me calling your images unofficial. Yet I have just followed your own description of them. What would you like me to call them? Unsupported? They are not supported by Canonical and if 16.04 is any indication they won't be supported by you. You've never acknowledged (let alone fixed) the major bugs via this forum or on launchpad. It's the same with Ryan Finnie's (another Canonical employee) Pi images - they've probably spent more time broken than working.

It is not negative to be concerned that your website was showing signs of being hacked. You can't even admit there was a problem.

It is not negative to share ways of building an image. It is not negative to update that code for no personal benefit (I created my own 18.04 installers/images a year before you).

I'm not the first person on here to point out you are economical with the truth. There is no technical reason for a delay in 18.04 images (what were the 'challenges'?). I stick with my original reply to this thread.

The Flavour Maker is not really needed to create Ubuntu images for the Raspberry Pi. live-build can be used instead. You can add your own commands to the 999-raspi2-fixes.chroot hook for adding PPAs, Bluetooth, etc. Not working for me though, it fails to configure dpkg on the debootstrap stage.

The xenial image was, in my opinion, a failure. The amount of preloaded Raspberry Pi software and the usage of the Raspbian kernel shocked me. I was expecting an image that would essentially be the same as the desktop version, with the exception of the kernel and underlying architecture. I'm glad that the bionic image will not come with all the bloat and will use the linux-raspi2 kernel.

Oh, you work for Canonical?

I am guessing the lack of "official" desktop images of any sort for the Pi from Canonical is due to some sort of corporate strategy decision? (I understand if you can't actually answer this...)

@stillwinter - I suspect based on what I've observed from Canonical that "official" desktop images for Pi aren't ever going to happen from here on out. The only official "current" releases (as opposed to 16.04, I don't remember what the status was for that) are Ubuntu Core and Ubuntu Server - BOTH of which require some sort of cloud account to even boot up initially. The Ubuntu Server images will hang on boot if you don't have a network connection due to this cloud-init crap that Canonical shoves into them.

@Wimpy - can you please pass it up the chain that Canonical's "official" stance with respect to official Pi images renders Canonicals "official" images unacceptable in a corporate environment? I'm planning on deploying Pis onto a VLAN that is fairly restricted as far as outside connectivity - we can connect to us.archive.ubuntu.com for updates but the chances of our IT department opening up the firewall for cloud-init or whatever Ubuntu Core uses for initial login are zip/zilch/zero - so Canonical's official images are absolutely unacceptable for my use case. (Which is why I'm hoping you make more progress with the Ubuntu MATE images, because I had good results with the 16.04 images a while back.)

Ubuntu core requires an account, but the server/cloud images just require a working network connection. Not sure what the latter does with it, but it is not the same as ubuntu core.

If that's still a problem then you can install via the mini iso (I posted instructions in my xubuntu thread), or build your own image using the script above. If you need Bluetooth then use the packages from Raspbian or the flavour maker ppa (the packages are exactly the same).

An arm64 generic desktop installer would be easily achievable (I've sent in patches for it). If you lobby somebody like Simon Quigley at lubuntu he might be interested in pushing it through for 19.10/18.04.3.

I think the cloud images are used (instead of plain server) because they were already developed for images so had the automatic partition resize tools etc in place.

@Wimpy

Could this be another reason to SIGNIFICANTLY speed up the release of official Ubuntu MATE 18.04 for RPi?

Ubuntu MATE rocks! IMHO the best linux desktop you can get on RPi. Please don't let it fade away.

Thanks and all the best to anyone who's involved.

1 Like

Replying to myself, I forgot lubuntu has switched from ubiquity to calamares. Looking at the code around the bootloader, it doesn't seem to support armhf/arm64 at the moment. Nice little project for somebody to add it.

1 Like

Yes this is absolutely true and many thanks to all who are bringing this forward!

@wdim Ubuntu MATE 16.04 will continue receiving security patches from mainline Ubuntu after April 2019, it's only the Ubuntu MATE packages that won't get security updates after April. I doubt these packages ever got updates anyway.

@Wimpy

Do you have a timeline on when we can see the beta images? My school district is getting ready to host a CyberCamp with every student getting a Pi 3 B+. The whole camp will be on and using the Pi. I've been testing OS's and would like to give UbuntuMate a spin.

Count me in as far as betas. I've got a low-priority project that ideally would use an ubuntu-based image because, TBH, I'm not a huge fan of Raspbian after my first experience with it. Similarly, if the beta image has issues I don't care because this project is low priority - I'm already planning at least one nuke-and-repave.

@stillwinter I actually encountered this just a few days ago. I had never heard of it before. My reaction..... OH H3!! NO! That is not going to happen. I don't care who they think they are. Everyone should protest to this. It is unfortunate that I will have take Ubuntu off my other computers.

Sorry I don't follow you. What don't you like?

Ubuntu-core is not for regular users. Although in all honesty I have no clue who it is designed for. In my opinion there is a complete failure in explaining how to use these images (sorry Martin more negative stuff).

Ubuntu server only requires a network connection on first boot. After that you don't need one. If for some reason you really object to the cloud-image packages then install via the mini iso like I've already mentioned.

Ubuntu Core is a stripped down, very minimal version of Ubuntu for boards like the Raspberry Pi and the Dragonboard 410c. You can install the classic snap which will give you a chroot environment, but a desktop environment is completely out of the question. Useful for IoT applications and for server purposes (when the classic snap is installed).

Ubuntu Server is a version of Ubuntu that is designed to be used as a server (hence the name) although a desktop environment can be installed. Just don't try installing GNOME 3 or Unity since the Pi will struggle to run those desktop environments. Useful for a server and as a desktop setup. I use Ubuntu Server 18.04 (ARM64) with the xubuntu-desktop as my main Raspberry Pi operating system.

What I meant was, say I wanted to build an internet radio using a pi for myself does core deliver worthwhile advantages over normal ubuntu? I think I would stick with normal ubuntu for ease of use.

On the other hand, if I was an internet radio manufacturer, surely I would build my own images rather than using the standard core images.

I get the idea behind snaps and core, I just don't get who the images are aimed at. Apart from testing snaps (limited number of users for this) I don't get the point. Maybe Ubuntu have come to the same conclusion, which is why they are producing 'normal' server images for the pi family now.

So after a lengthy topic and long wait, if anyone watching this topic haven't heard -- 18.04 for the Raspberry Pi is on its way - and beta 1 is available:

1 Like