We are preparing Ubuntu MATE 18.04 (Bionic Beaver) for the Raspberry Pi . With this Beta pre-release, you can see what we are trying out in preparation for our next (stable) version.
Ubuntu MATE 18.04 Beta 1 is available for Raspberry Pi Model B 2, 3 and 3+, with separate images for
armhf (ARMv7 32-bit) and
arm64 (ARMv8 64-bit). We have done what we can to optimise the builds for the Raspberry Pi without sacrificing the full desktop environment Ubuntu MATE provides on PC. High-level features of these images are:
- Ubuntu kernel, fully maintained by the Ubuntu Kernel and Security teams.
- Automatic online filesystem expansion.
- Ethernet & WiFi ( where available )
- Bluetooth ( where available )
- Audio out via 3.5mm analog audio jack or HDMI
- Video out via Composite or HDMI
- GPIO access via GPIO Zero, pigpio and WiringPi.
- Support for Python Wheels for the Raspberry Pi.
- Support for USB Booting.
- Hardware acceleration:
fbturbodriver is pre-installed but limited to 2D accelerated window moving/scrolling on Raspberry Pi (using the BCM2835 DMA Controller).
- VLC has hardware assisted video decoding.
ffmpeghas hardware assisted video decoding and encoding.
- The experimental VC4 driver can be enabled via
- Please note, the
arm64images do not feature any VideoCore IV hardware acceleration.
- Additional software:
Read the release notes to learn more and get the downloads: