Steam client no longer working after automated update [solved]

Hi,

after today’s steam client automated update, the client won’t launch any longer.

This is tested with laptop and personal computer using Mate 16.04.

Any hints or suggestions?

Thx!

Try running it in a terminal, this’ll reveal some error details.

Where and when did you install Steam?

Well, running it in terminal on my pc brought up this:

Running Steam on ubuntu 16.04 64-bit

STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1467926999)

libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so

libGL error: driver pointer missing

libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi

libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so

libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

On my laptop it was similar but other files. Not sure how to fix this.
Steam is installed since Mate 16.04 is up...had some error notices, but all has run fine till today's client update.

hi,

open Control Centre > Hardware > Additional Drivers and see if it offers you any drivers as you have an ATI/AMD graphics chip, it may be the reason!.

It’s a problem caused by the libraries Steam provdes and AMD cards using the open source driver. I’ve experienced a similar problem in the past.

This Arch user came across the same problem, and was able to solve it by deleting those libraries:

find ~/.steam/root/  -name "libgcc_s.so" -o -name "libstdc++.so" -o -name "libxcb.so*" -print -delete

There’s some good information on the Arch wiki for this issue.

Wouldn’t that break a lot of things depending on those libraries?
The ability to compile stuff is not something I would discard in order to run games. Looks like a rather nasty issue. :/

Steam comes with their own version of these libraries. What we are doing is deleting Steam’s version and forcing it to use the system version. Because your system’s version is left intact it won’t break dependencies.

1 Like

I'm sorry, but that didn't work. First of all those '(' have been marked as error. Then I cutted them out and the line was processed. Unfortunately Steam client didn't start.

I assume the same error still appears. Try launching Steam with this command. This will use the system version of the libstdc++ library.

LB_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5/libstdc++.so ; steam

(This may differ on your system - especially if it’s i386)

I’m sure I used a command similar to this in the past, but I don’t have any computers using AMD graphics to test.


More info here:

A bug report here:

This is a known issue for those of us with Radeon video cards that are stuck with the open source driver. If you replace your Steam menu command with sh -c "LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6' DISPLAY=:0 steam" it should launch properly. This has worked for me after every install.

4 Likes

Hi @VtvBreech, thank you very much. Your answer worked perfectly for me. Please mark your answer as solution to fix that problem!

Cheers!

1 Like

@Kepos Glad it worked for you :slight_smile:

1 Like