Suggestion: Include Pale Moon in the Default install?

Pale Moon is a Firefox fork that keeps the classic interface, just as Ubuntu MATE is, and like it is also frequently updated and high quality. I think it would be a good thing to include in Ubuntu MATE, maybe replacing Firefox–especially in the light of all the changes happening to Firefox recently that are making it less user-friendly and customizable.

1 Like

I don’t have experience with pale moon and I can follow your evaluation. But I guess, there’s no way to go awa from firefox as default browser - it’s an important application, like LibreOffice.

Though, I think, pale moon could be an application to software boutique! Perhaps in a Mate-design-fork?

Threat Software Boutique Applications

Right, but so was OpenOffice at one point before something better came along.[quote=“Atreju, post:2, topic:6983”]
Though, I think, pale moon could be an application to software boutique! Perhaps in a Mate-design-fork?
[/quote]

Yeah, at the very least it should be there.

Libreoffice was only created due to problems within the openoffice team. Not ‘just because’. Also someone would need to package it for inclusion. Which for a complicated program like pale moon, someone would need either a lot of time or motivation to do it.

The only browser I will provide by default is one with full security support from the Ubuntu security team. Right now, the only browser that enjoys that status is Firefox.

3 Likes