Suggestions for Synapse and iBus in 16.10

I am thinking of moving to ubuntu or gnome, but I do not think my 2gb 32gb system can handle a move.
What I would like for 16.10…
Ibus does not work for the instructions to make roman pali work (found on many pages)
Ibus does not work to show user preferences for ibus preferences (where available…) say… Burmese
ibus has compatibility problems with Synapse.

Synapse should be mapped to the Super key and fully integrated. (also will not conflict with ibus.)
It is only these reasons that I know of that is making me want to see a switch. Ubuntu has a larger base and maybe better ibus support. I cannot get it to work. My system is not so well these days… not sure why
system memory is 500 mb with nothing running.
Not sure why. It might have been one of the normal upgrades I did.
Right now, I have tbird, chrome, and synapse running and I am over 1gb of memory. (that is insane from the 350 mb I started with.)

About the memory usage, check it with the program htop. For me it shows 200 MB less memory usage than system monitor and that’s the correct one. I think it’s a system monitor problem, but I’m not sure. I noticed it happened after a kernel update.

2 GB RAM, 32 GB disk space?

The system requirements went up recently:

• Processor: Pentium III 750 MHz :point_right: Pentium M 1.0 GHz
  • RAM: 512 MB :point_right: 1 GB
  • Disk Space: 8 GB :point_right: 9 GB

My experience is similar in that it starts well under 500 MB, and after opening programs and heavy usage through the day will lead less memory then I started with. It’s not an issue for my system, since it has 16 GB.

Although memory usage goes up, it may just be caching or memory leaks within the program’s process, notable ones being xorg, compiz, and caja. Re-logging back brings a fresh start.

I use /tmp as a RAM disk, and discovered one day that anything stored in RAM disks accounted for RAM in system monitor and indicator-multiload. It could just be new ways the kernel handles memory, as @lepa22 touches upon.

Any thoughts (developers) on my suggestions for 16.10?

To me, they sound like bugs in the wider Ubuntu community.

Synapse and iBus have had issues on some user’s systems and languages in Ubuntu MATE:

I’m not sure about mapping Synapse to the super key, since that key is used for a fair amount of other shortcuts.

I’ve renamed the title to make it clear what the topic is suggesting. @Wimpy may be able to chip in with his thoughts?

I am working with the Synapse and Plank author to SRU fixes for both in 16.04. These won’t make it in time for 16.04.1 but are coming.

1 Like

Wimpy… Thanks… did you mean 16.10?
By the way… mate has been crashing lately. I think due to memory. But it has never done this before. I think that it is related to the recent updates in the kernels. I wish I had not done this update, but now I am stuck adding more kernel updates as they come.

I hope that something can be done to have a super key app launcher integrated into the Mate desktop. It is standard across the board. Synapse has the searches “right-on”… not so with advanced menu launcher. I would use dmenu over advanced menu. That is how bad it is.

If you think it’s a kernel issue, try holding SHIFT while booting up and choose the older kernel from the Advanced" options" menu.

If you’d like Synapse to appear when pressing the Super key, how about adding it in Keyboard Shortcuts (System -> Preferences) to launch syanpse)? I don’t know if it’ll bind the super key for definite.

It is possible a new menu solution is in the works :hushed:

2 Likes

Glad to hear it. That is a major weak point of Mate… but then again, the OLD FASHION menu system never had a typing menu thing. All of the code is written somewhere. I have heard of Gnome menu thing working, in other WM but I have never tried it in mate and it did not work in Lubuntu. i will be upgrading my memory soon. Not sure if I go with 4 or 8 gb. It is $19 versus $35. I am leaning to the 4gb because I cannot seem myself depleting more than 4gb (famous last words).
Please also work with ibus too. Synapse works fine without ibus.

I have done autoclean so I think I am left to wait for new updates, or go with a upstream stable kernel.