Synapse Suspend command does only suspend but *not* lock the screen

Hi there,
my environment is Ubuntu MATE 16.04, 64bit default installation.

I activated the Synapse launcher. When I issue the suspend command from within the Synapse launcher, my notebook suspends but it does not lock the screen. So, when it resumes, it comes back to desktop without asking me to unlock the screen.
This behavior contrasts sharply to:
a) suspend via suspend hardware button (Fn-F2 on my notebook)
b) suspend via MATE menu >> Shut Down >>Suspend.
With a) and b) my notebook suspends and locks the screen. So when it resumes from a) or b) than I am asked to unlock the screen with my user password.

What could I do (perhaps preferences somewhere?) to make suspend in Synapse behave like suspend via MATE menu or via suspend hardware button, i.e. suspend and lock the screen.
Does someone have a a hint for me?

Thanks in advance,
wechsler42

1 Like

Hi @wechsler42,

take a look in Control Centre > Screensaver/Energy settings (Systemverwaltung > Bildschirmschoner/Energieverwaltung):

Picture only in German!.

Thanks wolfman for the hint.

I checked my Screensaver preferences: “Lock screen when screen saver is active” is checked and “Activate the screensaver when computer is idle” is checked, too.
So I face still this sort of inconsistency:
a) suspend via suspend hardware button (Fn-F2 on my notebook)
b) suspend via MATE menu >> Shut Down >>Suspend.
With a) and b) my notebook suspends and locks the screen.
c) Issuing the suspend command from within the Synapse launcher suspends my notebook but it does not lock the screen.

So perhaps there is another command used in Synapse for suspending than it is used in case a) and b)?
Thanks in advance,
wechsler42

I am also experiencing this issue. Synapse does not lock the screen when suspending.

According to the following bug report this was a known issue that was supposedly fixed in an earlier version of Synapse:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/synapse-project/+bug/690696

Hi @wechsler42, @rev,

I personally don’t use suspend or hibernate as I don’t like screens blanking on me :thumbsdown:, I would simply log out if leaving my keyboard for any length of time if I were in a strange place, at home I just switch off the monitor!.

As @rev pointed out, there is a bug and this has been the case for a long time now causing problems for many users!.

All I have to offer is the following link which has nothing to do with suspend!:

I have the same issue on Ubuntu Mate 20.04 on 27 May 2020.