The old "Appearance Preferences > Visual Effects" tab used in the old Gnome2

It would be nice to include for visual effects configuration settings to choose from in Ubuntu MATE. This would be nice for new users that want to have a selection of Visual Effects for Compiz-Reloaded, without using ccsm to possibly harm the desktop

The photo was taken in Solaris 11.2.

4 Likes

That tab brings back great memories. I always thought this tab was Ubuntu only and not part of Gnome 2. Maybe it was Ubuntu only and ported to Solaris.

I think None was Metacity with composting. Normal was Compiz with moderate effects. Extra was Compiz with wobbly windows and whatnot.

I don’t remember the Custom setting, but preferences probably opens CCSM.

Now we have Mate Tweak so this isn’t needed, but I like those icons!:relaxed:

1 Like

What if this was an option in MATE Tweak? :wink:

I think this would be a bit simpler for average users then listing Marco (this), Marco (that), Compiz (woo!).

2 Likes

Yeah, because first time users they may not know what compiz or marco is

Maybe. I don’t really know. I am thinking that MATE Tweak has become an unholy collection of stuff that should be integrated in proper places.

MATE Tweak started as Linux Mint Desktop Settings (correct me if I am wrong). It exposed some settings found in gconf I believe (such as desktop icons).

MATE Tweak seems to be application that contains both MATE and distro stuff. But since @Wimpy is active in both MATE and Ubuntu MATE he is the right guy to decide where things go. Personally I don’t think distro specific stuff belong in an application called MATE Tweak. Isn’t MATE Tweak part of MATE now?

For the sake of both Ubuntu MATE and Linux Mint I think as much as possible should go upstream to MATE. There is no need Linux Mint has their own version of MATE Tweak. Distro specific stuff should go somewhere else.

Looking at MATE Tweak (UM 14.04) I see:

Desktop (belongs to MATE, maybe Appearance)
Windows (belongs to a distro specific tool)
Interface (belongs to MATE, maybe Appearance)

I could be wrong about this because I don’t really understand the technical underpinnings. I just think most of the settings in MATE Tweak actually belong in MATE Appearance.

1 Like

In Manjaro MATE the MATE Tweak is in the AUR.

MATE Tweak is distro agnostic, and distro specific features are only exposed on the relevant distro, unlike mintDesktop which is Mint specific.

3 Likes

Do you think it would be possible to integrate a feature like this into Mate Tweak?

@Wimpy You are doing the right thing. Openness and sharing give better results over time. I think you made Advanced menu distro agnostic and that was also a good move. Making things distro specific (unless needed) is almost as bad as proprietary software.

5 Likes

I was not trying to upset anyone by any means. This is just a thought. I just did not understand what you are tying to say in simple terms @Wimpy @mrtribute

I remember this setting very well. In the interest of discussion, there’s a fine balance between being new-user friendly and obscuring what happens when you hit a button on a UI.

The buzzword/lingo new-user-unfriendly term “compiz” appears nowhere on that UI and that may be a problem in itself. A new user may read all about compiz only to see it nowhere in the settings. Good or bad?

In this regard, I like the Mate Tweak approach better but I have the familiarity bias.

On a secondary note, that setting had 2 levels of preset compiz features. Not a bad idea in my opinion. It’s not free, of course, as someone has to select these presets.

I forget “Custom”. I think it brought up CCSM or a “Do you want to install it” dialog. I recall it was selected if you modified off presets.

Also part of this discussion is could Mate Tweak be an Appearance tab? Possibly. I’m all for integration.

My bend on integration is deep. Why in the world isn’t Logout, Reboot and Shutdown on the same dialog yet??? :confounded:

Core problem with compiz and new users? IMHO: CCSM (ComizConfig Settings Manager). This end result of years of feature patchwork has made it a tough nut to crack. As a user of the cube I understand the “Viewport Switcher” integration using “Plugin for initiate action” but dang, I’d hate to have to explain it to someone!

Just my 2 cents on the topic.

3 Likes

@johnnyhoffmann32 Nobody is upset, because there is nothing to be upset about.:relaxed:

On topic: I think this discussion boils down to a deeper problem that’s not so easy to solve. Linux comes with choice and I am all for choice.

But now UM comes with Marco, Marco software compositing, Marco Compton and Compiz. These options are distro specific and can’t/shouldn’t be integrated into MATE. At least Compton and Compiz are not part of MATE.

With GTK3 support support for Mutter/Muffin might arrive. Somewhere down the line choices will have to be made. I like the Visual Effects tab for nostalgic reasons, but MATE Tweak does its job well and it’s not possible to bring all those options to a Visual Effects tab.

Question is: do we need 7 window managers or is Windows better that has just one? Maybe Wayland is a blessing after all. I doubt it because I am always sceptical about new stuff. I think MATE Tweak is good for now. That’s all I know.

1 Like

Ok now i understand :slight_smile:

But anyway what do you think Ubuntu MATE 18.04 will be like and what new features will it have?

And also the status of wayland. On Manjaro MATE wayland-protocols is in the updates, so does this mean that wayland is on it’s way?

I am not a developer so I don’t know. You are asking the wrong guy.:slight_smile:
They are working on Ubuntu MATE 16.10 now. This is the latest progress report:

Wayland will come… one day. I think it will take time (years), before Ubuntu MATE uses Wayland. Some distros will never use Wayland. I like Compiz so I am in no hurry for Wayland.

If you want better answers you should ask the Ubuntu MATE developers how they see the future regarding Wayland and other window managers. I know @Wimpy is working on Compiz Reloaded so Compiz seems to have a future!

I think Linux is perfect now. GTK3 and HiDPI support might be good. Wayland doesn’t interest me. How can it beat Compiz?:wink:

2 Likes

I love compiz too. There is no alternative like it

1 Like

Wayland will end the screen tearing and the ever-aging X server. It kind of succeeds Compiz too being a compositor too. I hope Compiz stays around though. Did you know Wayland could do this? :wink:

You can get Compiz Reloaded to work today if you like, I tried it, but the 3D animations on my system are a bit jittery for some reason:

:fire: :heart_eyes:

Back on track, I agree with @Bill_MI that there could be a couple of levels. I’d prefer an option to configure Compiz via CCSM if installed as long as the “reset” button works if it all breaks and warn this is advanced.

2 Likes

No, I didn’t…We’ll see what the future brings. I like Compiz and the “endless possibilities” that it brings today. I just recorded one and a half minute without editing. It’s a low-spec AMD dual-core 1,6 GHz processor. Screen-tearing isn’t that much of an issue I think.

3 Likes

I disliked simple-ccsm when I used it. If only the Compiz Reloaded devs could iron out the Python issues, users could be able to use backported Compiz with no errors, and that could be supplied with UM 16.10, along with complete removal of Unity and mate-tweak can either intercede on behalf of CCSM to change profiles, or users could be instructed to see CCSM’s preferences to select different profiles that have a similar effect to simple-ccsm.

Maybe we can call the package that adds these Compiz profiles ubuntu-mate-compiz-profiles and make it part of another package, such as ubuntu-mate-compiz which would be Compiz 0.8 (Compiz Reloaded).

@mrtribute Are you using compiz-reloaded or the compiz 0.9.x from the software centre in that video?