Tradition is important

I agree with the change, The traditional look is why I changed to and why I am in love of Mate Desktop.

1 Like

The way people are familiar with the desktop, no wheel reinvention needed.

1 Like

Thank you @lah7 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know I’m biased… but dang… those buttons (did) look horrible! :persevere:

A big thanks, Luke @lah7!

3 Likes

@Wimpy
Speaking of tradition, any chance of bringing back the Customize Theme/Colors we lost with the transition to GTK3?
It makes a considerable difference to me.

8 Likes

ditto, though i’m not using 17.10 yet because i can’t download the freakin’ iso file here in the boonies.

2 posts were split to a new topic: What happens with regard to third party apps during an LTS -> LTS upgrade?

Go Luke! I think it looks better the old way myself

… Thank you @lah7

Yes. It takes work to make it look good. They put thin lines like that between everything and you can’t hardly see where the buttons begin or end.

Looks like a positive move to me. I had thought that the overlap of the button edges might be a bug, a problem with my graphics driver or some other rendering issue!

2 Likes

Ouuh thank you @lah7 so much!
There are so much other (useful) challenges in a live than to search for nearly invisible button boundaries… :smiley:

I like easily understandable generic buttons. It’s what I think a golden category old style thing. Inspirational because old and simple puts focus on life and work. I don’t mean the Apple fashion fancy simple of course. My opinion on style changes is why not make the old version available as well every time? Choice always adds extra value to products.

I’ve just checked this in UM 17.10 and the buttons are still showing the older design for themes such as OSX Arc, I’m assuming this is only specific to certain themes that have this change implemented?

Another vote for this, - would love to see colour customisation come back!

Yes, AIUI this is changes made to the specific theme, not a general GTK+ setting or change.

Thanks, good to know. I always figured the theme was just a skin over a hard-coded GTK UI. Interesting to see how things work!

I’ve opened a bug report regarding buttons shouldn’t be linked in GtkMessageDialog (buttons that does totally different things should not be linked EVER) but it was promptly closed because this is “done with CSS tricks”. It left me wondering why Ambiant-MATE had to be changed so buttons are unlinked again, if that’s true.

Sorry to bump an old thread, it’s not because of the title I promise! :slight_smile:

I notice that this important fix is still unavailable for many of the other built-in themes. It only seems to work for Ambiant-MATE.

Are there plans to include this feature in the other themes as well?

Would those in the know regard the CSS theming required for this job to need skills above that of a novice user?

Thanks

1 Like

@Alif_Dal_Mim are you referring to @mrnhmath 's bug report?
If so can someone link it here?