What happens with regard to third party apps during an LTS -> LTS upgrade?

Hi, Im new to this forum and Im trying to figure out how to post a question (instead of a “reply” as I am doing now.

My question is:
If I upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 (when it becomes available), will I have to re install all my 3rd party apps again ??

Also, how do i start a new post (instead of replying as I am doing now ???

Thanx

Welcome to the forum @Neil_Klagge

When you upgrade to 18.04, anything that you have installed through the Software Boutique, or from the repositories by other means, will be upgraded as well. If you have downloaded and installed software from another source (a web page for example), then you may have to manually install a newer version. This depends largely on how it was installed though. For example, some PPA's keep themselves updated by adding their repositories to your system.

To start a new post, navigate to the forum home page, click into the appropriate catigory, and click the + New Topic button at the top of the page.

It is always a good idea to search the forum for the answer your seeking, before asking questions. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

I have taken the liberty of moving your post to a new topic, as well as @steven’s reply.

1 Like

Third party apps do not update with the LTS. Though, they may have their own schedule of updates from the place you got them from, depending on whether they included their own repos in the installation.

Another issue, though it is quite rare, is that when the LTS is updated some of your third party apps may stop working. As I said, this is rare, but it can happen. I can only guess it is due to some systemic change in the main operating system, following the upgrade, which then makes it incompatible with the third party app that was installed.

When this happens, though, it is common for the third party app devs to bring out an upgraded version of the app and/or provide updates to the existing version which fix the problem.

Very rarely, though, this doesn’t happen and you can end up with a third party app that is irretrievably broken. In which case, you just have to deal with it.

There are ways that you can deal with such a rare eventuality. It involves the use of VM’s and, if you ever had that problem, come on here and I would be happy to explain.

1 Like