Trying to understand the Mate Core Packs

I have a core install running, but I’m wondering if this is truly a minimal install.

I first tried installing xorg, marco and mate-desktop to a console only install. This did not work, but if I add mate-desktop-environment-core I then have a working desktop. Which is much less than a standard desktop with about 1000 installed packages and taking up 2 gig of HDD space.

So the question; is this the minimal install or will another mix yield less.

Install this package too:

sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extras

Hi wolfman

That would be going in the wrong direction :slight_smile: Less, not more, is what I wonder about. This is just a learning experience for me and not going to be used for anything else.

A console install takes 300+ packs

and a few meta packs

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you meant!. :frowning:

I don’t know how to reduce the system unless you install Ubuntu minimal and work from there, you would need to know what you are doing though!.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Yes, exactly. I have played with it a bit more and looks like the quick way is just install lightdm and the environment-core package. That gives you a working gui with a terminal.

This is something I thought I could achieve with the mate-desktop package by adding the necessary packages to let it stand alone. So far, I have not any success, this may not be possible.

I’ve never done it so I can’t really give you any advice other than what I posted above, I did find this for you:

Actually I do it a little different with the server iso. The end result is the same as the mini install by using F4

and manual package selection.

Ubuntu MATE and Lubuntu are unlike the other flavours. When installing the ubuntu-mate-core or ubuntu-mate-desktop meta package you must do so with --no-install-recommends, like this:

For a minimal install

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-mate-core^

For a complete install

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-mate-core^
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-mate-desktop^

It is required to use --no-install-recommends otherwise a whole heap of unrelated packages will also get installed.

1 Like

Yes, I understand what your saying about no-recommends. What I find is that these four metapacks will give you a working desktop.

ubuntu-mate-desktop
ubuntu-mate-core
mate-desktop-environment
mate-desktop-environment-core

The environment-core package will give the least amount of packages, but still enough for a working desktop.

The package mate-desktop and say lightdm & marco is not enough to complete a working desktop. The most basic build is using the environment-core pack.

So I think I got this figured out, am I right?

The mate-desktop-environment is replicated in mate-desktop-core.

Yes, an odd package :slight_smile:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/x11/mate-desktop-environment

Installing mate-desktop-environment takes the package count to 1240 and 2.6G of disk space. (I thought this package made a nice desktop install)

Installing ubuntu-mate-core (no-recommends) takes the package count to 1580 and 3.5G of disk space. And of course giving it more desktop packages.

@anon42388993, you may already know about this one.

I have built some very lightweight MATE, KDE, and GNOME systems on tiny minimalistic appliances like this; and it was quite fun and rewarding. :smiley:

http://www.ubuntu-mini-remix.org/

Ubuntu Mini Remix is a fully working Ubuntu livecd containing only the minimal set of software to make the system work. Ubuntu Mini Remix ISO image is around 200MB.

Then you can use this to pull in Synaptic, and the rest is yours... :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi mated :slight_smile:

Yes the mini, the remix and the server iso will all do the same thing. For what I do, the server iso is the fastest because its on the CD and no need to load that part of the install from the internet. And yes, the server iso fits on a CD, But nothing wrong with using remix, just a preference of mine to use the server iso.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi, @anon42388993, thanks for the explanation, on those options!

I feel like Dr. Frankenstein, sometimes, when get into seeing what will work together; but , no doubt, I get a boost on my learning curve this way. :cold_sweat:

I actually made artwork, applied it all through these systems, installed some Plymouth boot-up effects, and put them on USB sticks to impress friends. :sunglasses:

Maybe @Wimpy will let me do a sanctioned remix, when I get out of grad school; the Management Information Systems and OS classes, I have been taking - in tandem with what I learn here, in the community, has set me off to exploring a bit. Of course it is always a sincere comfort to get back on the best of the best: the one and only - Ubuntu MATE! :kissing_heart:

1 Like