TTF-MS Fonts issue

Fresh install to an external drive of Ubuntu MATE last night and it is excellent. But I have one issue. Microsoft fonts will not install. I tried installing them from the ‘extras’ package and that did not work, neither would directly installing them via the terminal work. Here is the pop up window:

Failure to download extra data files

The following packages requested additional data downloads after package installation, but the data could not be downloaded or could not be processed.

ttf-mscorefonts-installer

The download will be attempted again later, or you can try the download again now. Running this command requires an active Internet connection.

I need those fonts and appreciate any help.
Thanks.

1 Like

I had this the other day, the links are broken in the update source. I ended up downloading the deb package.

http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/m/msttcorefonts/

6 Likes

Thanks! That worked.
Since that is an older version, does the update break it?
Thanks again!

Should be 3.6?

http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/m/msttcorefonts/ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.6_all.deb

2 Likes

I just noticed that it said a newer version was in the repo when I installed it. So I wondered if an update might break it again.

Thanks @antechdesigns, I just installed that and so far the fonts installer message hasn’t reared it’s ugly head!. :smiley:

FYI, the root cause of the problem is this one, fixed for 17.04, a backport is scheduled for 16.10 and 16.04 .

4 Likes

I simply ignore it. Honestly, if you really need MS fonts, get yourself a copy of a Windows 10 ISO file

WebUp8 has an excellent how-to

It talks about Windoze 8.1 but 10 works as well. I got all Windoze fonts this way. I’m not an avid fan of MS fonts but some programs I use, especially KeePass2, simply has empty squares in the window title. It’s not always the case. I didn’t have this issue with 14.04, but with 16.04 it reappeared.

I use the Java PPA from WebUp8 and maybe next time I don’t select the option to download MS fonts. I wonder if we still have the option.

Again, if you can live with the occasional pop-up window, leave it as is and let it be fixed with an update. I tend to break things when I try to fix them by myself :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for the info guys!

Some people write and edit in both Libre Office and MS Office. Having the same fonts is important.

1 Like

Hi @linuxfan,

I just noticed what you had written, I think you meant to say that

“an older version is available from the repository”!. :smiley:

Installing the version posted above will not break your system!. :smiley:

1 Like

Right. Thanks Wolfman!

1 Like

The fix has been released for 16.04 and 16.10 - ttf-mscorefonts-installer works again after the latest update for apt.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update!

I tried and I had encountered the same issues of data files not installing. The solution for me is still to grab the package from Debian’s repos.