Ubuntu MATE 15.04 for Raspberry Pi 2

@Daniel_darko If by lag you are referring to menu lockups, then it is a known issue and we are working on it.

@letter_weaver To disable overscan, edit the file /boot/firmware/config.txt and uncomment disable_overscan=1 (line number 10). The changes should be applied on reboot :smiley:

Excellent, thank you.

First of all, thank you for providing support for Raspberry PI 2. This distro look neat. However, there are few things that still bugged me.

I tried to plug in RT5730 wifi dongle in, however it cannot recognize. How to solve this?

Somemore, how is the gpu acceleration progress? Some visual UI shown black because it does not support GPU acceleration. Furthermore, it would be great if OpenGL ES can be use to render video from VLC. And provide support for Graphical effects.

@darrenliew96 You can have a look at this page for instructions to get your Wi-Fi dongle running.
I have been testing the image and after including the VideoCore (GPU) libraries, the video playback is very good. Will be releasing an updated image in the next couple of weeks with various fixesā€¦

Yea it was the menu lockups and when i move folder windows etc they kind of lag.

It not that my network-manager is not working, it is something like this.

I tried on other ubuntu unofficial distro, it just canā€™t recognize my USB dongle assuming that due to no drivers available.
So I tried another old wifi dongle, which is only G. It works but not this.

PS: i am using kubuntu distro to show, anyway is the same.
Link to Image

Hi Rohith!
Thanks a lot! youā€™ve done a really very great great job!.

For my side, the wifi dongle is not recognized : lspci returns ā€˜cannot find any working access methodā€™
and iwconfig:
lo : no wireless extention.
eth0 no wireless extention
The procedure here didnā€™t work for me.

Any how, I am diging again, it will come later.
Except this, all of the distro is fully functional
Again, great, great job
Thanks
Gil

Not sure if Iā€™ve prepared the card correctly, but the display doesnā€™t seem to work on my pi2. I extracted the .img file and used win32 disc imager to write to the card. As far as I can tell, itā€™s booting, the keyboard lights flash, etc. But nothing shows up on the screen.

As an extra precaution, I always reformat my cards before I use the disc imager. I think I got the reformatter I use from here: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

It feels cleaner and when I donā€™t I sometimes get errors like those you describe.

So far most things work great here. Iā€™ve installed ubuntuMATE for Raspberry Pi 2, moved / to an external HDD, ,moved /home to the HDD, and made a more than reasonable swap partition on the HDD. The only issues so far are the time being incorrect on every reboot (my ignorance likely) and poor video playback-not just VLC- mpv, parole, snappy all played very choppily or not at all-Nestopia didnā€™t fair well either. Thanks for the efforts, eager for the fully functioning results.

Okay, please forgive my noobness here, Iā€™m on my first RPi and am on ly dabbling in linux for like the second timeā€¦ Iā€™ve got the image installed and running, on my Pi 2, got the sound working, all that fun stuff, but if anyone can point me toward the lay personā€™s guide to expanding the file system to fill my entire SD card I would greatly appreciate it, because I am pretty well stumped.

@darrenliew96 @Gil_44 Try installing the linux-firmware package. It will be installed by default in the updated image.

@reederda You may not have downloaded/extracted/flashed the image properly. Use this download link and try again.

@mortem Iā€™ve created a new image which includes the VideoCore (GPU) libraries which makes HD playback smooth. Will be adding download links soonā€¦

@tderleth Have a look here for instructions to resize your microSD card.

4 Likes

Downloading now, fantastic work guys

I fell very stupidā€¦ THat`s me. I forgot to have changed previously the wap_supplicant.conf file, as it is necessary in raspbain to make working the wifi doogle as recommanded here or elswhere.

Eliminating the changes I made , i.e. removing the lines I added in the file:

"
network={
ssid=ā€œNETWORK_NAMEā€
psk=ā€œNETWORK_PASSWORDā€}

"

and folowing the procedure , NOW it prefectly works!!!

My wifi dongle is full ok functional.

1 Like

I am testing now Navit with my gps antena on the Mate-Rpi installing these librairies and dependencies :

sudo apt-get install cmake zlib1g-dev libpng12-dev libgtk2.0-dev librsvg2-bin
g++ gpsd gpsd-clients libgps-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev freeglut3-dev libxft-dev
libglib2.0-dev libfreeimage-dev gettext

[Here the procedure]:

I downloaded the openstreet map for my area and modified the navit.xml file.

Iā€™ll tell later how it goes.

If so has experience of Navit with Mate-Rpiā€¦

A very good day for everyone!

Fantastic! Will users be able to update already installed images or is replacing the install wiser?

Iā€™ve been watching this thread with interest and it has sparked another of my too-numerous-to-mention daft ideas!

I once owned a diatonic button accordion and really enjoyed playing it. But, foolishly lent it to my brother in lawā€™s son a few years back. Anyway, to cut a long story short, he buggered it up so badly it was more or less irreparable.

Since then, I have read about midi accordions, which operate in all respects like a normal accordion in terms of the bellows force affecting volume and bellows direction affecting note pitch. These machines use a midi synthā€™ and on board speaker instead of traditional steel reeds. The advantages over traditional accordions are several fold. Firstly, they can be re-programmed to play different notes and so can mimic every type of accordion set-up. Secondly, they can be played with head-phones for practising purposes. Thirdly, they can use a variety of voices including non accordion voices, if desired.

And then I found out how much they costā€¦They start at around Ā£1500!

and so I got to thinkingā€¦

I already know how to mimic an accordion treble and bass keyboards using two simultaneously open copies of zynaddsubfx. I already know how to rig up small momentary button switches and map them to keyboard buttons from a previous daft idea when I made a mini arcade machine. All that is left, in terms of gadgetry, is a barometric gauge to measure airflow in the bellows and then redirect this to output volume.

All of the above could be easily driven by a pi, which itself could be easily buried inside a midi accordion case.

Anywayā€¦nothing more than thinking out load for the moment

But I know where such thinking always gets meā€¦ :grin:

That did it, many thanks!

Firstly - what a polished port, it really is excellent. The only problem I have is when using wifi, the disconnected eth0 port continues to do dhcp and defaults to default values which clobbers those obtained by the wifi connection.

I have tried the obvious :-
ifdown eth0
and
ifconfig eth0 down.

The network manager does not see the eth0 at any time so I cannot disable eth0 that way.
The other error I get is on startup I see something like sysctl status cannot load kernel modules.
I tried to look for more information with dmsg but found nothing.

Video still choppy on youtube.

But hey I am listening to rdio on my pi - that is a very good start

1 Like

Thank you so much for this image!

I would like to include the changes you made in your 14th of March release, but I donā€™t want to start over with a new image since Iā€™ve made customizations which I donā€™t want to loose.

Is there a way to add the changes to my current system?