Ubuntu MATE 15.04 for Raspberry Pi 2

@rohithmadhavan Pushed some more changes this morning. Left the build running. Had to disabled fbturbo for the time being and revert to apt-get for installing ubuntu-mate-desktop.

I have a bit of a lag with the applications menu, aside from that most of my programs runner smoother on here than they did on the Ubuntu linaro image. Maybe try lxde to fix the menu lag

I decided to try this image out after I botched my Ubuntu 14.04 linaro image. Iā€™m blown away by how smooth this runs, I honestly didnā€™t expect it to be any better, but it is, by a lot. YouTube videos play the full way through without pausing or getting all wonky, blender is pretty much completely usable now (on the linaro image changing settings or editing the number of vertices would close the program). Seriously, great job on this! The only thing I could use is raspi-config - I canā€™t figure out how to expand the file system and keep getting messages that its bellow 200mb :confused: any idea how I do this?

@BananaGunz We are working on a new build. We might be able to squeeze a little more performance out of it and weā€™ll document how to expand the filesystem. Iā€™ll look into adding raspi-config :slight_smile:

@Wimpy Did the build complete?
Itā€™s about time that another name is added to the contributors list :smiley:

Awesome! I saw the post about oem-config after I posted. The only other problem Iā€™ve experienced is with the clock, after every boot the time seems to jump four hours ahead regardless of which timezone I use then I have to reset the time to the correct time. Not a big deal, just a bit annoying.

Also I found a forum about resizing the partion with resize2fs but Iā€™m not sure which to resize?

Looking forward to the new build!

@rohithmadhavan Just logged in to check. Nope, failed. Saw your commits. Iā€™ve gone back to a more tested technique to try and get the build to complete. Pushed my change. Give it a whirl :slight_smile:

@BananaGunz Iā€™ve looked at raspi-config. I have updated the build scripts to include it. But, it is not going to be 100% compatible with Ubuntu MATE.

For example, anything to do with ssh and ā€œboot to scratchā€ will likely not work or worse. There are also a heap of features that are just not required for Ubuntu MATE, such as locale, timezone, language etc.

So, Iā€™m thinking more carefully. Possibly fork it and remove the features that are not compatible or required. Or just create a disk resize tool for Ubuntu MATE and call it good.

@Wimpy Wow. this is awesome, I couldnā€™t believe how smooth and well my RPI 2 run it. Keep the good work up. However, is it okay if I use apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade commands on this? Will it actually break its compatibility with the raspberry pi for now? And another thing, this build seems to have problems with loading the main menu, I think it should load the menu on the RAM at the moment it gets booted so it doesnā€™t struggle when I load it with my mouse, thank you very much for your hard work!

Iā€™ve just downloaded the image and have set it up on my Raspberry pi 2 and I have tried ā€œsudo apt-get updateā€ and the response was "Failed to fetch http://ports.ubuntu.com/dists/vivid-backports/universe/binary-arhf/packages Connect initiate the connection to port.ubuntu.com:80 (2001:67c:1360:8001::18). - connect (101: Network is unreachable) [IP: 2001.67c.1360:8001::18 80] ". Can anyone help???

@rohithmadhavan Iā€™ve fixed the install of ubuntu-mate-desktop. Iā€™ve also had an email from Ryan Finnie explaining some changes he has made and Iā€™ve incorporated those. Iā€™ve had a minor refactor and cleanup and pushed all my changes.

Iā€™ve resumed my build, rather than starting from scratch. But, if you are able, please also kick off a build to confirm it works for you too :slight_smile:

@Wimpy Everything looks good. I will try a build :smiley:
While adding the PPA, is the priority assigned so that packages from the PPA are preferred over those present in the Ubuntu repos (eg. the linux package)?
raspi-config needs to be forked and modified since there are quite a lot of options that are not relevant to this image. Will have a look at the sameā€¦

Some reports and tips, as of latest version posted April 6, 2015ā€¦

This helped me get full network-manager functionality with the applet appearing in the dock bar:
http://thesave.altervista.org/2014/02/network-manager-applet-for-mate-desktop-installing-it-right/

These instructions (slightly modified) helped me resize the partition to max (to fill the rest of the SD):
http://elinux.org/RPi_Resize_Flash_Partitions#Manually_resizing_the_SD_card_on_Raspberry_Pi

Then to get the desktop to fill my monitor/TV screen
ā€œsudo pluma /boot/firmware/config.txtā€
Uncomment ā€œdisable_overscan=1ā€
and for the brave you could try overclocking (at your own risk)

ā€œsudo apt-get updateā€ followed by ā€œsudo apt-get upgradeā€ worked fine (doesnā€™t appear to have broken anything).

1 Like

Thanks for the tips.
Especially to resize one.

Iā€™m wondering, if we have a big enough space, is a swap partition (2 to 4 Go for example) useful to help the Raspberry Pi (or odroid C1 in my case) to run RAM big consumers like web navigators ?

Can we actually update the kernel from 3.18.0 to version 3.18.10 like on Raspbian or even more to v3.19.x?

@bt1234 Thanks for the feedback :smiley:

@XeoSal The kernel is supplied by Ryan Finnie and includes some extra functionality, such as aufs support. Also, mainline 3.18 is designated as an LTS kernel release.
However, you can change the kernel to any other version by replacing the relevant binaries in the /boot directory :smiley:

@rohithmadhavan My new build is a bit busted. Iā€™ll add some fixes to the script later and roll a new one. oem-config is so close to working, but failed at the last step :cry:

1 Like

Hey! Let me ask a question of a possibility, in Raspbian there is Epiphany browser which supports HTML5 and video playback accelerated by VideoCore libraries, can I actually install it on this image? It would be great if possible.

@XeoSal Got a link to the deb, or better yet, the dsc?

@Wimpy Here is the source for information of Epiphany browser package on the repository of Debian Wheezy https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/epiphany-browser and here is the (DEB) armhf version download page for it: https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/armhf/epiphany-browser/download you can try installing it on this distro and check if video acceleration is working or not, because if so all HTML5 video will play smoothly on this browser.

Edit: Here is the (DEB & DSC) download location on the Raspbian repository: http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/e/epiphany-browser/ I dunno maybe the version on the debian page is not accelerated for the PI.