Ubuntu Mate 17.04 64 bit install

Hello!

I am trying to install Ubuntu Mate 17.04 64-bit on my build.

It is an AMD A8 9600 CPU, 8 GB Ram, Also an Sapphire Readeon 4 GB Pulse GPU, 120 GB SSD.
The GPU - drivers will be installed after Ubuntu Mate is installed since I have read that some have problems there, so it is not connected at this point.

My problem is that everything is so extremely slow, how can i overcome this, will it be better after the install? Still in the first part of the install after restarting everything a few times in hope for it to be faster.

First time user here! Pls help!

Hi and welcome !
I don’t know about you’re precise trouble, but the UM 17.04 version will be soon in end of life, which means that the team will not give support (update/security) this version any more. You better try Long term support such as 16.04.3 version or at least go for the 17.10 version.

Well looking at the screen and clicking continiue and stuff evrything is so extremly slow, also i tried that, but it was even slower, trying another time now, but I am dropping the part when you connect to the internet see if that helps. I just dont know why, is it normal it takes a lot of time? is it my hardware that is the problem. Dont know…

When you say slow, you mean Internet connection ? Or the OS ?

The OS and the installer

Are you using it from live cd ? Or Live usb ? Cd can be slow sometimes …

USB 3.0 and it is connected to an 3.0 in the PC aka Live USB

i know taht AMD users could better avoid 16.04 version, but i don’t know if this could help
Better wait for some real Hacker :slight_smile:
Nor try to find from you’re browser “ubuntu slow on amd Sapphire Readeon”

Hi thanks, will take a look into that! :slight_smile :slight_smile:

Well I ended up with installing Ubuntu 15.10 as that worked perfectly!

Just in case you want to try a LTS version that might work, see this page - http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/releases/16.04/release/ where there is a plain ubuntu-mate-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso available - not 16.04.3. See if this one works first as a live USB and then perhaps try an install.

Just a suggestion…

You should not do that unless you place no value on security or your computer is not connected to the Internet.
15.10 is vulnerable to KRACK, Blueborne, The dnsmasq vulnerabilities, and a ton of other stuff.

1 Like

15.10 is no longer supported (EOL = July 28 2016):

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases