Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS is out!

Nice job Ubuntu MATE Team. Thanks for hearing the community as usual and for smashing some bugs thanks to the awesome QAs on the team. #FlawlessVictory

1 Like

I had that problem.

However, you can get round that.

Open a terminal (CTRL + ALT + T) and type
sudo do-release-upgrade -c -d
When terminal confirms the new upgrade available type
sudo do-release-upgrade -d

It will upgrade then for you.

Remember to back up all your files first. It shouldn't lose any files but better safe than sorry.

1 Like

A great job, this team always improves Ubuntu Mate, this OS is wonderful

1 Like

I did a clean install and it's running smoothly. It feels faster than 18.04. Great job guys!

2 Likes

I always do clean installs after the first point release. I use the meantime to backup my files, bookmarks and make lists of my ppa's and installed programs. I appreciate those that install the first release, but I prefer to avoid the problems they find.

i just downloaded bionic beaver now i gotta upgrade lol

1 Like

Hi. I had an issue with refresh rate. I solved it in 14.04, 18.04 and 20.04 like this. Maybe it helps.

Bionic Beaver is my favorite name of all the releases.

1 Like

same lol P.S i did upgrade to 20.04

One weird issue I came across in the new release is that VirtualBox VM windows (unlike the main window) cannot be moved or resized properly with the mouse, which to me looks like a problem with Marco, as Xfce does this just fine in 20.04: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1876481

Hello,
I don't use Ubuntu MATE as a main distro ( Debian / Ubuntu) , but anyway i'll like to THANK YOU ALL for the hard work through your FREE SOFTWARE contributions in Ubuntu MATE and - i guess - much more !
So just thanks and take care !

Ubuntu 20.04 on Windows 10 WSL

So far I have found two problems

1. 'gcc' -Os option for size doesn't work anymore.

2. shell command 'sleep' does not work. Returns hardware clock error.

Please check out this thread/forum for assistance with WSL issues.

1 Like

Hi Ubuntu, please your support I cannot to install microstack in my computer, how I can get support?

Best Regards

MicroStack is not part of Ubuntu MATE.

It is shown to be in a technical preview state but you can try for support via Launchpad or ask questions here.

Good luck.

1 Like

I've tried the minimal install in AQEMU. It runs great. My only gripe is the log out/shut down icon in the lower right panel. I prefer to have the clock to the far right and log out via the menu button.

thx so much for the latest 20.04 I love it.
Have upgraded over 19.10 a couple of days ago.
I had Caja running in the background behind Firefox and found its cpu usage was at 98%.
I managed to close it ok, anyone else had trouble?

Hasn’t happened to me. Does the problem recur?

Hmm.. for me screen tearing not fixable for optimus laptops (intel+ nvidia)
Especially for nvidia

I have an ASUS FX705GM which I believe is an "optimus" although I knew nothing about "optimus" when I got it a year ago. 16.04 installed fine (although had to us a USB mouse as the multi-touch trackpad wasn't recognized by the installer, but was on initial boot up). I wanted NVidia for CUDA and the Intel graphics for OpenVINO GPU so I was basically happy despite the display and restart quirks.

I was shocked at all the problems with 20.04 -- wouldn't boot into "try without installing" eventually stumbled onto that booting directly into the" install with safe graphics" would let me install it. Particularly that 16.04 had no issues beyond some dual display quirks.

But I had all kinds of issues trying to use my external 4K monitor on 20.04, although display tearing was never one of them. System lockups were frequent and as far as I could tell it was random if the mouse/keyboard would work after boot -- far too many hard power off cycles!

It got so bad I wiped it and installed Manjero Mate19 which "just worked" no issues beyond my not being used to the very different package management (pacman is basically terrible compared to apt-get). I thought it'd be OK once I got used to it, but the showstopper was Manjero uses Wayland, Wayland doesn't work with Nvidia and I need Nvidia for CUDA, so game over.

By dumb luck I left the 4K monitor plugged in when I wiped Manjero and reinstalled Mate 20.04 figuring I'd make it boot to my 16.04 system by default and get on with my life while waiting and hoping for a fix. Now the display works fine with two quirks -- if I power down the 4K monitor with the laptop closed (my normal working mode) its back to "same display on all monitors" wehn I power it back on, but with the Display Settings icon enabled in the panel its no real problem as it doesn't scramble the window positions the way 16.04 did. The other quirk, which also is in 16.04 is if I shutdown or restart with the laptop closed it logs out instead of shutting down. I don't under stand how this is possible and no solution was forthcoming when I posted here about a bit over a year ago.

My only complaint is Python 3.8.2 is maybe premature as Coral TPU and OpenVINO support currently stops at 3.7 but the wonderful pyenv software let me setup virtual environment with python 3.7.7 and I now have my python Coral TPU code running. OpenVINO is next on the ToDo list.