Ubuntu Mate 22.04 auto ending Sessions when I do something specific

When I do something specific (like opening a file in Audacity, creating a tab in Brave or even switching a tab) my screen goes black with a blinking cursor and then It kicks me out to the login screen, I have no idea what the problem is because I never had something like this in any other distro (not even on 20.04)

Does anyone have any idea what it is?

from ASKUbuntu.com: you might be crashing your X server. Next time it happens log back in and have a peek at the bottom of the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old and see what it has to say

Can I send the log file here?

Yes, sure you can post the relevant part here

Tried to find something relevant and it looks like it's fine

What do I do now? There is no solution?

Its above my level of knowledge. Sorry. Hopefully someone can answer this for you.

Can u share this post to more people? Maybe someone who you knows can help me

anyone have any idea that can help him fix the issue he is having? I personally haven't had the issue so I am unable to help

Hey buddy, I did find weird stuff on xsession-erros log

ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
Exiting due to channel error.
mate-session[3902]: WARNING: Detected that screensaver has left the bus
Could not parse arguments: Não foi possível abrir a tela:

(mate-panel:7970): Gtk-WARNING **: 15:48:03.079: cannot open display: :0
Erro do gerenciador de janelas: Unable to open X display :0

Maybe some information here:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/22-04-browsers-are-freezing/25352/3

1 Like

I found this too

Window manager warning: Window 0x1800007 (Eclipse ) sets an MWM hint indicating it isn't resizable, but sets min size 452 x 302 and max size 2147483647 x 2147483647; this doesn't make much sense

Hi, @Ygor6889.

Does the "/var/crash " directory in your computer running "Ubuntu MATE 22.04" ("Jammy Jellyfish") have any "*.crash" files in that folder with information regarding those crashes? If there are such files, I suggest that you start by looking into those.

Yes it does have one file "_usr_lib_xorg_Xorg.0.crash"

Thanks for the feedback, @Ygor6889 :slight_smile:

The presence of that specific "_usr_lib_xorg_Xorg.0.crash" file seems to confirm @mickee 's guess of an "X Server" crash. Those "*.crash" files, in the "/var/crash" directory, usually have a line that begins with "Title:" that typically are good to search the web for the error that caused the crash. What does the "Title:" line say in the case of your ".crash" file?

If you're really interested, you may also want to take a look at the "StacktraceTop:", "Stacktrace:", "ThreadStacktrace:", "XsessionErrors:" (which I see, in another post of yours in this same topic, that you have already checked) and "JournalErrors:" sections also in that ".crash" file, but please be aware that some of those sections may contain a LOT of information and that some of that information, in some cases, you may NOT want to disclose in a public forum.

Also please note that I'm just another Forum user here (I'm NOT a Ubuntu or Ubuntu MATE developer).

Same problem here, on a Latitude E6410. In this example, when I go to "properties" of the Processor Frequency Grade Monitor, the mate session is terminated. This happens sporadically with other applications as well (eg when trying to open an instagram link in Firefox and Google Chrome):

1 Like

I didn't find any lines about the stuff you mentioned, weirdly, the end of the file is just "gibberish"

@Ygor6889 : those very long "gibberish" lines are probably part of the "CoreDump:" section of your ".crash" file. Try to find "CoreDump:" in that "_usr_lib_xorg_Xorg.0.crash" file to confirm if that's the case.

By the way: I see that you are opening that ".crash" file in the "Notepad++" text editor in Microsoft Windows (maybe in Windows 10?). Is that "Ubuntu MATE 22.04" installation running inside a VM (Virtual Machine)? If that's the case, what is the virtualization software that you're using to run the "Ubuntu MATE" VM? VirtualBox? VMware Workstation Player? Some other?

It's actually a dual boot, I'm opening this on Windows because I can't even open the file on Ubuntu Mate due to the "auto ending session" issue

1 Like

Here is the video showcasing the issue

1 Like