Ubuntu MATE always forces search start page in Firefox

Remove this package if it is installed.

TNX!!! I did notice that line, yesterday. I’ll delete it now and let you know.
TNK AGN!

I am sure you will have done this, but just in case:

I got that down to about 4 SECONDS… and am wondering IF solving this taking MORE time than
just changing it several times a day!!!

I actually still have this installed but it does not revert my homepage ever. It always stays the way I set it. Really strange…

The new start page is a fairly recent addition:

The page itself was intended to compliment the Ubuntu MATE user experience by re-branding Ubuntu’s default home page.

• Ubuntu’s extension is the xul-ext-ubufox package.
  • The configuration that sets this home page are in the ubuntu-mate-default-settings package. Remove that package instead.

What you have discovered is a bug and was never intended to happen. Sorry about this spoiling Ubuntu MATE for you. :frowning:

I’ve reported it here:

3 Likes

Thanks… IT did it again, less than an hour AFTER I manually set it.

This must be only in the very latest updated image because my current installation is only about 2 weeks old and, as far as I am aware, this is not happening on my machine. But, you can be sure I will report it here if it happens.

On my current system installed from the original 16.03 image it does not happen - I will be installing another PC with the new 16.04.1 image next week, though - I’ll definitely check for that on the new install.

Hi all,

check your "Extensions & Plugins" list in FireFox, there may be something else in there that causes the problem?:

Why does not everyone experience this bug who updated to 16.04.1?
Also, which file in this package is responsible for this problem and would removing the package potentially break other things?

1 Like

It does affect everyone. The launchpad bug (above) has just now been confirmed.

Confused here … installed 16.04 when it was released,. updated to the current state of 16.04.1 and never experienced this issue.

Or maybe I am :slight_smile:

From what I make of lah7 post, this was accidentally built in.

And I did not notice this bug until the point release.

Well, I am at the point release and it still does not happen. The only reason I could think of is that I am using the MATE 1.14.1 ppa. Maybe the change that triggered the bug was never carried over to that one.

I get the same behavior in 16.10 as I do in 16o4.

Hi @maximuscore,

I am using UM 16.04 with Mate 1.14 and do not have your problem so I can only assume that the bug isn’t having an effect on everyone!!. :smiley:

This is the same on both my tower PC with an Nvidia GPU and on my mini notebook with an Intel GPU!. :thumbsup:

I am on 16.04 64 bit with full upgrades and updates, without this problem

Seems to be just a 16.10 bug, ubuntu-mate-default-settings for 16.04 (v16.04.5.3) doesn’t even contain the configuration files:

/usr/lib/firefox/ubuntumate.cfg
/usr/lib/firefox/defaults/pref/all-ubuntumate.js

:point_up: They’re responsible. It’s safer to delete them with sudo then uninstall ubuntu-mate-default-settings which contains other defaults like the panels in MATE Tweak.

It would have been helpful @SkipF if you specified which Ubuntu MATE version in your opening post. :expressionless:

Regardless of version, I did experience this bug too on 16.04. It is unrelated to MATE versions but rather this is not the correct approach to set defaults as a one off.

2 Likes

I’ve only had this problem since installing 16.10 on my laptop. I could live with it until it was fixed, except that now all the other devices I’ve connected with Firefox Sync – including an Android tablet and a Win10 desktop – have had the home page changed.

However, while reading this thread, the thought occurred to me that if /usr/lib/firefox/ubuntumate.cfg was causing the trouble, and deleting it didn’t help, how about editing it? Couldn’t make matters any worse…

Voila! Six hours later (rather than the usual five minutes) and it hasn’t changed and it’s right on the other devices. Hopefully, future updates won’t restore the bad behavior, but at least it’s an easy fix.