Ubuntu Mate LTSP - Control clients with epoptes

The following instructions only apply to PNP LTSP. But, if that is what you are using, they will work:

To include certain apps on the client image, you must first install them on the server. Then update the client image with the following command:

ltsp-update-image --cleanup /

Once you’ve done that, you can remove them from the server if you don’t want them there.

In order to exclude certain apps from the client image, that you have installed on the server, you will need to edit a specific file by issuing the following command in a terminal:

sudo pluma /etc/ltsp/ltsp-update-image.excludes

Go to the bottom of the file and type in the name of the program/s you wish to exclude, then save and exit. Then run the “ltsp-update-image --cleanup /” command.

1 Like

This can also be used with PNP LTSP

To kill the ltsp client image’s screen saver without having to fiddle around with difficult settings/configs. I installed Caffeine screen saver inhibitor. However, it is important to install the version that works best with Ubuntu Mate. I have found it to be:

caffeine_2.5.1+546~behda~ubuntu13.10.1_all.deb

You can find it here:

https://launchpad.net/~behda/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+sourcepub/3850149/+listing-archive-extra

You’ll find it at the bottom of the page linked above.

You need to install the above on the server and then run:

ltsp-update-image --cleanup /

from a terminal to update the client image with caffeine

Then fire up your ltsp client. You should find that Caffeine automatically loads and is in the system tray. Open Caffeine preferences. You can either have it inhibit the screen saver when only certain applications are running. Or, if you just want it to completely disable the screen saver/screen lock, then include an application that runs all of the time as one of the trigger applications. Marco, for instance.

Whatever changes you make to caffeine preference in your LTSP session will be retained and will automatically apply then next time you fire up your client. So, you only need to set the preferences once.

1 Like

Hello @stevecook172001 @javedsher !

Sorry, I had my A-Level exams. :smiley:

My solution for the screensaver-problem is the following: (Never seen a workaround on the internet too :wink:)
I have a 64-Bit Fat-Client Setup. You should remove the relevant things for you.
First we have to enable ltsp-remote-apps:

Add to: /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/amd64/lts.conf on the server.

[Default]
    LTSP_FATCLIENT = True
    REMOTE_APPS = True

Install i3lock on the server:

sudo apt-get install i3lock

The Server is ready. Now we have to modify the client-image:

sudo ltsp-chroot -c -p

In the Image Chroot:

apt-get remove mate-screensaver

Create: /usr/share/applications/i3lock.desktop

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=ltsp-remoteapps i3lock -n -c 000000
Name=Lock Screen
Comment=Locks screen with i3lock
Icon=mate-typing-monitor
Category=

Client modification done.

exit
sudo ltsp-update-image

If the clients get the new image, the mate-screensaver won’t run automatically. Instead the user can lock the screen via the i3lock entry created in his applicationsmenu. I’ve choosen i3lock, because it will be executed on the server (ltsp-remote-apps) and it is very resource-friedly.

I don’t need automatic activation of the screensaver in my setup, if you do so, you should try to add this to the client image:

apt-get install xprintidle

And as a startup script: (not tested)

#!/bin/bash

idletime=$((1000*60*60)) # 1 hour in milliseconds

while true; do
    idle=`xprintidle`
    echo $idle
    if (( $idle > $idletime )); then
        #sudo shutdown -P now
        ltsp-remoteapps i3lock -n -c 000000
    fi
    sleep 1
done

The main point here is, that when it is run on the server, we don’t get the authenticatoin-issues like running natively on the client-image.

I hope I helped you,

Matthias

1 Like

Hi Matthias,

I will try it on my setup. Thank you for helping on the issue.

Were you successfull?

That’s awesome Mathias! Have you used LTSP with rpis?

I’m interested in getting a setup for school computer labs with them.

There’s this project that uses their own build of raspberrian and ubuntu server but I would rather run ubuntu mate fat clients. I’m looking to for the best performance for the pice. Would you get better performance doing a thin client with x2go?

http://pinet.org.uk/articles/key-info.html

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13130

I would really love to see ubuntu mate be the go to for school labs and cyber cafe in the 2/3rds world. In the west it looks like chromebooks/android are kids first exposure to computing now. If pis could undercut them I think it would make a big dent.