Ubuntu-mate-welcome and software-boutique fail to run with similar errors

After upgrading from Ubuntu Mate 21.10 to 22.04 ubuntu-mate-welcome and software-boutique fail to start with similar errors. "IndexError: list index out of range"

I tried reinstalling both and snapd as well to no avail.

d**@:~$ /snap/bin/ubuntu-mate-welcome
/snap/ubuntu-mate-welcome/709/usr/bin/ubuntu-mate-welcome:1837: DeprecationWarning: Gtk.Window.set_wmclass is deprecated
w.set_wmclass('ubuntu-mate-welcome', 'ubuntu-mate-welcome')
/snap/ubuntu-mate-welcome/709/usr/bin/ubuntu-mate-welcome:1842: DeprecationWarning: Gdk.Screen.get_height is deprecated
if s.get_height() <= 600:
[Welcome] Snap detected. Using VERSION
[Welcome] Version: 22.04.0
[Welcome] Application Ready.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/snap/ubuntu-mate-welcome/709/usr/bin/ubuntu-mate-welcome", line 1399, in _load_changed_cb
app.current_page = uri.rsplit('/', 1)[1]
IndexError: list index out of range
^C
d
@
**:~$ /snap/bin/software-boutique
[Welcome] Starting in Software Boutique mode.
/snap/ubuntu-mate-welcome/709/usr/bin/ubuntu-mate-welcome:1837: DeprecationWarning: Gtk.Window.set_wmclass is deprecated
/snap/ubuntu-mate-welcome/709/usr/bin/ubuntu-mate-welcome:1842: DeprecationWarning: Gdk.Screen.get_height is deprecated
[Welcome] Snap detected. Using VERSION
File "/snap/ubuntu-mate-welcome/709/usr/bin/ubuntu-mate-welcome", line 1399, in _load_changed_cb
^C
don@e15g2:~$

1 Like

I also upgraded from 21.10 to 22.04, some time before 22.04 was released. And I had the exact same problem. Once 22.04 was officially released, I decided to try a fresh install. Welcome and Boutique worked just fine.

So it seems to be something about the update process. I have no idea what. I don't really understand snaps all that well, nor do I want to.

1 Like

Same here after upgrade...
Using Raspberry Pi 4 8GB

#22-04-jammy #support #bugs

Same here
and in addition, when I go to the System menu, I don't get any answer when clicking both Updater and Software & Updates
So...updating PPAs is an issue
Oh! and just discovered Bluetooth doesn't work either... Icon there, no action

Addendum: Tried an "update" using Software and it was asking for restart. So I did. And now the Bluetooth icon on the panel does work and both Updater and Software & Updates. Update and/or restart di it it seems... self healing... :man_shrugging: But thanks for reading me

W

Same here after upgrade to 22.04.

• removed snaps as follows:
    sudo snap remove --purge software-boutique
    sudo snap remove --purge ubuntu-mate-welcome

• re-installed the snaps as follows:
    sudo snap install software-boutique --classic
    sudo snap install ubuntu-mate-welcome --classic

• reboot PC

• if I click the icons in Control Center - nothing happens

• if started from the menu - "Starting env" task shows up in taskbar for some seconds and then disappears

Is there a way to repair them or do I really need to do a fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04 for making them work? (they're both not that important to me, but I use to install some apps from there, fix broken packages, etc.)

2 Likes

We've been searching for a solution to this problem too.
After a fresh install of 22.04 Mate, Welcome and Software Boutique were working, but after trying to get Beid card reader to work it seemed something we did caused both Welcome and Software Boutique to stop working. Unable to resolve the issue, we did another fresh install of 22.04 Mate and it did not resolve the issue. This makes us wonder if there is something in the home folder that needs to be changed, though we have no idea where to look. As a last resort, we might back up home and do another fresh install to see if that works, but we're hoping to find a solution to avoid that if possible.

What I do when I suspect a problem might be something in my ~ directory, but no idea what, it is to simply create a new user and log in to it. No need to make a fresh install. This will at least confirm that it's something in your home directory (or not).

Excellent suggestion, and something we've done in the past, so don't know why we didn't try that on this problem. My friend will be visiting with the computer tomorrow so we'll give it a shot.

As we suspected, the problem is somewhere in the home folder, but comparing the new user to the old user we have yet to see where to do something to correct the problem.
A log file ".xsession-errors" in home, we found 4 lines immediately below the error:
RuntimeError: object at 0x7f5407a95f00 of type FolderColorMenu is not initialized
RuntimeError: object at 0x7f5407a95f00 of type FolderColorMenu is not initialized
which we're not sure if they are related to the problem or not.
We're running the Mate desktop, and can't find anything to look at relative to FolderColorMenu or how to initialize it.

I have had this problem before, after another upgrade.

Currently this happens if I try to run the boutique from the command line:

$ software-boutique 
[Welcome] Snap detected. Using __VERSION__ 
^C

^C because nothing happens - nothing on the screen, no return to the command line prompt - until I do.

We've done a fresh install which didn't resolve the problem, and find that a new user login results in both the ubuntu-mate-welcome and software-boutique working properly, tells us it's something in the home folder of the user login that is failing. We are at a loss as to where to look to correct this issue, and are debating over just reinstalling from scratch and formatting the home partition, though we would prefer to learn the cause of the problem and correct it, if possible. So far we have two computers upgraded to 22.04 Mate but unresolved problems on both keeping us from upgrading several other computers all of which are running ubuntu 21.10 Mate, with just the workspace issue.

Personally, if were told that upgrading meant I would never ever be able to run Software Boutique again or see MATE Welcome again, I'd do it.

But as they're snaps, they're supposed to isolate themselves from (almost) everything else, aren't they?

Best I can tell, not everything in Software Boutique is a snap. I installed synaptic from Software Boutique and actually prefer it, though I believe the intent is to eliminate it in the future.
In any event, it appears to be a home folder issue, at least in our case as both the Welcome and Boutique apps work in a new created login on the system.

Maybe you should check the snap directory instead of home and see if there's a diff. Just a suggestion.

We have checked the snap directory. It exists in our home directory.

It's a long shot but why don't you archive the non-working snap dir and then copy the new user's working snap dir there and give it a try (reboot maybe required)? This could save you from reinstall and confirm that the archived snap dir is at fault.

That assumes every users snap directory content is the same.

Hello,
I can't access neither to Welcome nor to Boutique. It used to work, but now it doesn't.

Welcome:

env BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE_HINT=/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/ubuntu-mate-welcome_ubuntu-mate-welcome.desktop /snap/bin/ubuntu-mate-welcome
IndexError: list index out of rang

Boutique:

env BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE_HINT=/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/ubuntu-mate-welcome_software-boutique.desktop /snap/bin/ubuntu-mate-welcome.software-boutique --boutique

What's wrong?
Any solution?

Thank you for your future answer.

Khm...
It correctly works when I launch Welcome or Boutique from root or other user:
sudo env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=MATE ubuntu-mate-welcome
or
xhost +SI:localuser:<OTHER_USER>; sudo -u <OTHER_USER> env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=MATE ubuntu-mate-welcome

The output is:

[Welcome] Application Closed

Tried to rm -rfv /home/<MY_USER>/snap/{ubuntu-mate-welcome,software-boutique}, but it didn't help.

app.current_page = uri.rsplit('/', 1)[1] works with some local users, and not works with others.
uri variable is always = file:///snap/ubuntu-mate-welcome/709/usr/share/ubuntu-mate-welcome/splash.html, I've checked dozens of times.
But why user 2 can use .rsplit with ('/', 1)[1], but user 1 not?
I've tried to use app.current_page = uri.rsplit('/', -1)[-1] instead and it works fine from user 1, and at least show blank page from user 2.

Using negative integer in this python script I can get the value of variable app.current_page both from user 2 [all is OK] and user 1 [all is not OK].

Variable app.current_page should change during application runs as follows:

splash.html
splash.html
splash.html
splash.html
index.html
index.html

and it does from user 2, but I get only:

splash.html

from user 1.

But why?

Is there any Python coder?
Just rsync -avpHES this snap's mountpoint and mount --bind the new copy over the old and it will be writeable. Play with it... I'm not a Python coder, I don't know what to do next.