Ubuntu MATE Welcome screen

@Wimpy, @lah7,

would you like me to proof read the English language versions of Welcome and see if I can find any errors and correct them?. :smiley:

I worked for the American government several years ago and I am aware of the differences between British and American English!. :ghost:

Great, thanks! :slight_smile:

Would the easiest fix be to use a one point smaller font size (only for retrieved system information) to allow more room?

Interesting, missed text leaking in VirtualBox system specs. Good catch!

Welcome -> Software

Is there a way to prevent the rapid side-to-side wobble (text veers left, then right) as text zooms in, if not, would a top to bottom fade-in work instead?

Hi, is there a trick to getting this thing to display?
I'm running 16.04B in a VM and on an old 32 bit laptop, and on both I only see this:

Edit: I have subscribed to Welcome Updates

I'm using BlackMATE theme on 16.04 Beta 1 and text No filter is a little bit hard to read.

But when you click on it looks fine

Also is it possible to somehow mark when new software is added to collection and in which category? (Hope that make sense?)

With the translation deadline in about 2 weeks, It would be inconvenient to change any further strings. Otherwise it will get to a point some languages are not 100% translated in time and end up with English strings. It’s also UI freeze.

@Wimpy informs me it’ll be fine to make further corrections, so please do if you have time. Ideally, all final string changes should be set in one go ASAP to avoid incomplete translations.

@wolfman, please let us know your feedback to this thread.

That sounds easy enough. I originally thought of scroll bars or ellipsis. :thumbsup:

Ubuntu (and its flavours) are in UI freeze. Changing the animation now wouldn’t be permitted. I consider your question an opinion, but I’ll keep it noted.

That’s an old version of Welcome, it did work by typing ubuntu-mate-welcome from the terminal. This screen is different now.

It’s a known problem with the Black-MATE theme, just like Caja displays really dark text. @Wimpy’s on it, the issue should be fixed in a week or so.

1 Like

That’s great to hear :thumbsup:
I notice it in Caja too, but sometimes it went to white and I couldn’t figure it out why until recently. If you press F3 and then click on the right panel it switches to white and stay that way until you close Caja.

No problem. Was meant as an observation rather than opinion, thought possibly the side-to-side text movement wasn’t intentional but might be difficult to fix. :slight_smile:

Ah, in that case, the animation is Zoom In (from left). It’s intended as a bit of a fancy entrance, not some malformed, wonky animation. :wink:

Wonder if it’s displaying differently on my system?

As text zooms, it first jumps left, then right, then back to centre. Would it help if I try and make a video so you can see what I’m seeing?

Almost forgot to mention:
Thanks for giving me a chuckle :smile:

Yes please, greatly appreciated.

At some point, hopefully before 16.04, Welcome will be migrating to WebKit2 - mainly for security reasons, but will be a lot smoother with hardware acceleration. Technically, WebKit in use right now shows 3D animations as 2D… just leave the main menu open for one minute. (:rabbit: ;))

Video is ready. Recorded at 60fps, slowed to 25% to make it easier to see what I’m seeing. :slight_smile:

File name:
Welcome_Software_Screencast_2016-03-23_slowmo.mp4

File size:
603.0 KB

SHA256:
58878a13b14ec8b7d46df8f54e52a52981cdc79a97de1a82b11c563f05d918e2

Link:

Nothing to worry about, that’s how the animation does its thing, but I like your observation. It will be a lot smoother when the port to WebKit2 commences.

Good to hear. I was expecting content should smooth zoom from near window centre to fill left side. As if (software) information was being retrieved from a great distance (Internet). Thank you for your feedback.

Hi @lah7,

that other thread is what I meant as it is evident that there are a few things to change and rather than wait for one of the translators to find something they don’t understand, I can read through all the sections and change them to what I perceive as being correct, I did notice a couple myself but could interpret what was being said!.

Ideally a global post to all translators to make them aware that they will need to re-check their translations over the next coming week should be placed on the forum!. :smiley:

I will get right on it.

I hope that this is okay with you and @Wimpy?. :smiley:

@wolfman, that’s fine by me. @Wimpy is also aware of all the grammar correcting going on. :relieved: :slight_smile:

Bare in mind the deadline for translations inclusion in 16.04 is 07 April 2016, so ideally as soon as possible. Those translating via Transifex should receive e-mail notifications when new strings need (re-)translating. I’d prefer we kept that to a minimum, and make one final change in all one go.

1 Like

No problem Luke, I am looking through the lists in my German translations and making a note of the possible changes needed and noting the section number so you know exactly where to go. I have found 4 thus far and will note the others as I find them because I am still correcting my own errors in the German lists anyway!. :smiley:

I will make sure that there is time to spare for the final inclusion date and that the other translators have enough time to do their corrections too!. :smiley:

2 Likes

Okay, I got it to work.
Here's what it looks like on an old DELL Latitude D620:

[quote=“lah7, post:72, topic:1616”]

That sounds easy enough. I originally thought of scroll bars or ellipsis. :thumbsup:[/quote]

Just wanted to add a compliment, really like the way you’ve overcome the System Specifications layout issue. Well done! :smiley:

2 Likes

Will there be an option to resize fonts in Welcome like other programs are able to do?