Ubuntu MATE Welcome screen

Well done that man, you deserve it…:slight_smile:

I’ve just pushed the new version to the PPAs. A few more applications have been added to the Software section :smile:

@Wimpy Can I use it in 14.04.2?

Yes, just apt-get install ubuntu-mate-welcome

It's looking very good so far @Wimpy, good job! :smile:

Even though it's still a work in process, I have a prototype if animations/transitions are to be considered later:

Is it just me who likes mini animations? :sparkler:
(Excuse the poor quality GIF)

Also, since Ubuntu Software Center and AppGrid will be available for a one-click install (which I think is a good move, by the way), I hope you'll push towards Synaptic as a third choice. I admit it's not the most friendliest for the novice/average user, but for those who know exactly what packages they want on a fresh installation, a one-click for the power users would be great! :package: :thumbsup: :blush:

Thanks, mate! :smile:

@Wimpy I was craving for this feature in MATE. Glad to see it listed but couldn't get them working in 14.04. Does these work by default in MATE 1.8.2 (Ubuntu MATE 14.04)?

I think making everything appear at the same page makes it cluttered. What about, the categories e.g. Accessories, Games, Graphics, etc. will be visible first. Then when a user will click on a specific category, only the software recommendations under that category will be visible. I think it’ll be more simple and clutter-less.

The check box for "Show this welcome menu when you login" has a border around it. I'm not sure whether it's intended. If it's not, this border could be removed. Thanks. :smile:

Wow, that turned out nice.

@lah7 Is that animation a render or have you adapted the code? If the later, pull-request please :grinning:

@tranjeeshan The keybindings are not preconfigured in 14.04 :cry:

So how can I make them work in 14.04? Is there any way without using Compiz?

@Wimpy Originally it was just a mock-up animated render, but it’s code now. Pull requested! :smile:

I think it would be nice to have a slide transition between pages. I can suggest this library:

The current version looks different to previous screenshots. I personally prefer the original look, wording of text (“Show this dialog at login”) as well as the “Close” button. It felt compact and nicely blended.

1 Like

Thanks for coding the Welcome Screen with software install buttons.

I never liked and have never used the Ubuntu Software Centre but always installed new programs on the command line anyway. It would be nice to be able to remove the Software Centre from Trusty Tahir via Synaptic but this cannot be done without removing Mate itself, so the messages say.

Thanks again. Ubuntu Mate is splendid.

1 Like

@lah7 Thanks for the pull request, you star. :kissing_heart:

I’ll review it later :slight_smile: If you have anything else you want to contribute please do. If you could make a floating To Top icon appear when you scroll past the top of screen navigation, that has been requested muchly :wink:

I’ve removed USC safely on ubuntu mate 15.04 and its hasn’t caused any problem on my system.

i used:
sudo apt-get remove software-center

:smile:

1 Like

@Wimpy Synapse isn't available for Ubuntu MATE 14.04. This appears while trying to install Synapse through Ubuntu MATE Welcome.

it’s available via terminal, or at least was a few weeks back when I rebuilt um 14.04.2 32 bit

How is it even possible? You saw the screenshot; I tried installing Synapse through UMW and failed. I even searched through apt-cache and didn’t find Synapse. That’s why I posted in here. But after your ( @stevecook172001) reply, I searched through apt-cache again and found it. Then I tried installing it through UMW and succeeded. Doesn’t make any sense!